USB Loader 1.1

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

USB Loader 1.1

Post by sadalius »

Well, I've had my Wii stuck at firmware 3.2u for what seems an eternity now. Yesterday I was looking around and found a few new things for the Wii on the homebrew front.

The thing that caught my attention was a program called USB Loader 1.1. Yeah, I know this isn't really new, but there were so many problems with the v1.0 so I didn't pay it much mind.

This program allows you to connect an external storage device, like an external hard drive or even a USB flash drive. If the program recognizes the device, it will offer to format it so don't go using something that might be important somewhere else or you'll loose that data. Once it's formatted, you'll have a few options. One is to install a game. Once that option is chosen, it will ask you to put in the game disk. Then it will copy it to that external device. It copies fairly quickly too. Once it's copied, you can take the disk out. Then you can choose to play that game. And it works great. I tried it out this morning and I love it.

There are a few things that you'll need before you can use this program though. Here they are.

1. CIOS 36 version 9
2. Waninkoko's 4.0 updater
3. USB Loader 1.1
4. A way to load DOL files and maybe WAD files.
5. An external storage device that USB loader will recognize.

Here is my setup. I was using firmware 3.2U and had the homebrew channel already installed using the ISO install to get the latest version. I then put CIOS 36, Waninkoko's 4.0 updater and the USB Loader on a SD card inside a folder called APPS. Each program has to be in their own folders, for example I put CIOS 36 like this \APPS\CIOS36\boot.dol then I put waninkoko's 4.0 updater like this, \apps\40updater\boot.dol and then I put the USB loader like this \apps\usbloader\boot.dol. All the DOL files must be named boot.dol for them to be launchable.

Then I loaded the homebrew channel. I ran the CIOS 36 installer first. Then I ran waninkoko's 4.0 updater. I had to run this twice. I think it was because I didn't have enough free blocks of memory the first time around. That updated me from 3.2u to 4.0, but using waninkoko's installer, it only installs what I need from the update and none of the Big N's bad stuff. Then I was able to run the USB Loader.

If you try this out, I'm sure you'll love it. I'm almost tempted to go out and get a bigger external HDD so I can put all my games that I have on it and then put my originals up somewhere.

These programs don't go without warnings though, they can brick your Wii if your not careful. My installs went smooth, except for having to run the 4.0 updater twice, but after the second time, everything went smooth.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: USB Loader 1.1

Post by BobSeager »

This is what I need for my croaking wii drive. Now if only I had saved my backups...

Thanks for breaking it down, I will look into applying this too. I've never done anything with the wii other than chip it. Last time I read something about homebrew it still involved the twilight hack :?

Return to “General information”