Resize a WBFS partition

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Resize a WBFS partition

Post by sadalius »

I don't know if this can be done or not, but I already have a 160 GB USB HDD setup and partitioned 100% in WBFS with several games installed. I want to shrink the WBFS partition and free up about 2 GB to have a FAT partition so I can put game cover art on it. Obviously, I want to be able to keep from having to re-install the games that are on it, but I may have to I don't know. Does anyone know if acronis or partition magic will work on WBFS?
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Resize a WBFS partition

Post by technoe »

The last time I ran Partition Magic it had specific file formats listed. There are the obvious like NTFS, FAT, FAT32, JFS, and a few others. It would definitely be worth a shot.
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

You could try booting into a linux live cd and using partition editor. I think ubuntu 9.04 has it installed already. It doesn't have support for WBFS but I think it may be able to resize it anyway. It's a great parition editor it's all I use, bout 1000x faster than windows and much more flexible and user-friendly partitioning.

Do you have to have homebrew channel to use an external USB? I've been doing nothing with the wii hardware lately except using it for the infrared bar to guide the wii emulator on my pc.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

For the Wii itself, I use a modified USB loader installed as a channel to play the games on the USB HDD. It doesn't allow you to add or remove games. I did it that way to prevent my daughter from deleting crap off it. If something needs deleted, I can do it with the full version that I have on an SD card loaded by HBC.

I've got ubuntu on my netbook but I since it's a netbook, I don't know if partition editor is installed. I'll take a look at that later today when I get a break.

Thanks for the ideas guys!!
Sadalius

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

New game plan. Since I can't find anything that will let me resize the partition without loosing the data this is what I'm going to do.

Use WBFS File manager to dump the data onto a PC. Then pull the partition and then create the new ones. One 2GB FAT partition and one in FAT32 or NTFS it won't matter which though because then I can use WBFS file manager to convert it to WBFS and then put the data back. It might take a while, but it will beat having to load all those up one at a time using the disks running at 3x or slower.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

yea
should work just fine
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

Doing at the pc is defnitely far quicker...

Have you tried gparted? That's the only one I can think of that might have support...
And if at first you don't succeed..? Order the damn card! :Phttp://tekgems.com/Products/la-pci22-vt6421a.htm
Mirc is a place to chat, post up on the site for help!!!
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

I've already got it sorted. I just dumped the games onto my PC, repartitioned the drive then transferred the games back, It took a little while, but the end results was worth the wait ;)
Sadalius

live_go1314
Peasant
Peasant

Post by live_go1314 »

Ok, the best way I introduce to you--use the Partition Manager.
This is the best software I always think.
And I used to resize partition with it, worked well and free for use.
:D
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

I dont think that program will work with a wii formated HD
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.

Return to “General information”