un playable backup

commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

un playable backup

Post by commando_lee »

Iv recently backed up a wii game which ive tryd playing on my wii which has been modded. all my other backups play fine, but the original game plays fine on the wii thats not modded but the backup wont play on the modded wii. it will show on the channel screen then when you click it to play it sticks on black screen and you can here the drive running but nothing happens??
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: un playable backup

Post by technoe »

Just sounds like a bad burn. Re-burn and try again, if you're still having issues try backing up the game again.
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

i will burn it again.

i was told that the wii had to be updated or some thing like that is that still the case?
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

What firmware version is your Wii on and what game is it?
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

sadalius wrote:What firmware version is your Wii on and what game is it?

not sure mate, how do i find out? Its a game called Coroline its pretty new only got it yesterday

EDIT>> Just went onto wii settings and seen this VER 3.1E is that what you mean?
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Yeah, thats probably why, but it could be something else as well. Since this is a backup, it's probably pretty safe to assume that the backup was scrubbed, or all the update stuff removed before it was burnt. A couple of questions and I'll make a recommended course of action.

1. How is the Wii modded, chip or softmod?
2. Can you run homebrew?
Sadalius

commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

i think it is chipped, i have never tryd running homebrew wouldnt know where to start. never realy looked into it
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

ok, well, if you don't care about the ability to run homebrew, you can update straight to the 4.0 firmware. However, if you think you might want to run homebrew there is a different path you need to take. Only reason I mention this is because the really hot thing right now is USB Loader. It gives you the ability to dump your games onto an external HDD, flash drive or SD card and run them from there. If this sounds enticing, and I know it does because I run my Wii this way and I just helped CoFree set one up like this and he likes it too, then follow this path.

Download the Homebrew Channel ISO from here:
http://hbc.hackmii.com/download/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will need to use the EUR version. Just burn it to a disk and run it in your Wii and install it. If your Wii is chipped, you'll have no problems here. Run it and if there are any updates, take them.

Now you will need an SD card. On the SD card, create a folder called APPS and inside that folder create another folder called cios36 then download this file:
http://robinhoodsplayground.com/sadaliu ... taller.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In that zip file you'll find a file called cIOS36_rev10-Installer.dol extract that into the cios36 folder you created on your SD card and rename it to boot.dol.

Mount that into your Wii. Run the homebrew channel and then run the cios36 installer. When it runs it will ask you if you want to install from a wad or from the internet, choose the internet and it should take care of the rest on this part.

Once you get cios36 installed, put the SD card back to your computer and in the APPS folder create a folder called firmware40 and then download this file:
http://robinhoodsplayground.com/sadaliu ... er_4.0.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inside that zip file is a file named Firmware-Updater_4.0.dol extract it to the firmware40 folder that you created on the SD card. Rename it to boot.dol and then take it to your Wii and run the homebrew channel again. This time, run the firmware 4.0 installer and go through that process. Make sure you have at least a 1GB sd card to have plenty of room. Follow the on screen instructions and when it finishes it will tell you and you will need to reboot the Wii.

At this point, all games should work that require the higher firmwares, and you should still be able to run homebrew apps like USB loader or GUI-FX.
Sadalius

commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

First id like to say thanks for all the info.

The homebrew sounds good i think ill go that way. will all my other backups still work if i do the homebrew channel thing you have said???

1) Ok so do i plug RJ45 into my wii so that will make it have an internet connection? before i run the disk? also if my wii is not chipped will it affect anythin when i do install it?

2)i have got a micro sd card which goes inside the usb adapter which i use for my DS. is that good enough?

also would this enable me to play the wad files ?
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

If your wii is not chipped, you won't be able to install the homebrew channel that way. You would have to use the twilight princess hack in order to install it. I'm not sure whats involved with that because I've never done it before.

The Wii doesn't have an ethernet port built in. It works off wifi, unless you buy Nintendo's USB ethernet adapter. There used to be a different one that you could use, but I haven't seen them on the market in a while.

Once you get the homebrew channel installed, you can get an app called WAD Installer to install WAD's with. I haven't messed much with that other than USB Loader based channels which are wad files.

The microSD card would work fine as long as you have an adapter to convert it to SD. It has to be loaded from the SD slot on the Wii.

Oh and yes, you should be able to play all your backups and originals like normal.
Sadalius

commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

sadalius wrote:If your wii is not chipped, you won't be able to install the homebrew channel that way. You would have to use the twilight princess hack in order to install it. I'm not sure whats involved with that because I've never done it before.

The Wii doesn't have an ethernet port built in. It works off wifi, unless you buy Nintendo's USB ethernet adapter. There used to be a different one that you could use, but I haven't seen them on the market in a while.

Once you get the homebrew channel installed, you can get an app called WAD Installer to install WAD's with. I haven't messed much with that other than USB Loader based channels which are wad files.

The microSD card would work fine as long as you have an adapter to convert it to SD. It has to be loaded from the SD slot on the Wii.

Oh and yes, you should be able to play all your backups and originals like normal.

i have a wireless router which i have my comps connected through, but they are wired through RJ45 not wireless so would i need to activate that then to connect.
if so is there a process on the wii id have to do to get it on the net?
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Yes, you would have to turn on the wireless in the router. Unless you specifically turned it off, most are turned on by default. Once you verify that the wireless part of your router is on, go into the system settings on the wii and setup the wireless connection to your router there. If you setup any security on the router, you'll have to input that information on the connection setup. When you get it setup, it will ask you to test the connection, which you can do, but it will also ask you if you'd like to do an update. Don't do the update if your planning on using homebrew though because if you take the official update, it will be hard to get back to the place where your at now and thats easy to do homebrew.
Sadalius

commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

sadalius wrote:Yes, you would have to turn on the wireless in the router. Unless you specifically turned it off, most are turned on by default. Once you verify that the wireless part of your router is on, go into the system settings on the wii and setup the wireless connection to your router there. If you setup any security on the router, you'll have to input that information on the connection setup. When you get it setup, it will ask you to test the connection, which you can do, but it will also ask you if you'd like to do an update. Don't do the update if your planning on using homebrew though because if you take the official update, it will be hard to get back to the place where your at now and thats easy to do homebrew.

right it looks like its setup now i have said no to the update. i turned the wii off and now im going to do the process you described
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Cool. Just post up if you have any questions, CoFree and I both have went through this process so if you have a question, we should be able to help you out.
Sadalius

commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

sadalius wrote:Cool. Just post up if you have any questions, CoFree and I both have went through this process so if you have a question, we should be able to help you out.
i installed the home brew channel it didnt offer any updates

im just running through the firmware updater black screen just seems to be taking some time but at least its saying its downloadin the sections successfully.

EDIT @ 21.20

I have followed all those steps everything has loaded ok restartd WII and my back up game now works, also i now have the homebew channel installed. What can i do with that channel now thats its installed.

I would just like to say thank you for all your help. The instructions were easy to follow which made the whole process easy

THANK YOU
Last edited by commando_lee on Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General information”