flashing red light on ps3 fix

tonyuk73
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

flashing red light on ps3 fix

Post by tonyuk73 »

Hello all. Well it had to happen sooner or lator, my ps3 is dead two years old 60G uk.Is that good? It's got the red flashing light problem and is now dead with MW2 stuck in it.Now ive been looking around on the web for a cure but have only come to find out that it' s going to cost me or i have to heat up the chips on the mother board with a heat-gun :shock: or that the hard-drive is dead or just needs taking out and putting back in (done that) or that there is a thermal fuse blown. Ive stripped the ps3 down and give it blow out and that brings me to here before it stays in bit's forever. Can any one help for the correct fix or am i going to have to spend £250 on a new one.
Last edited by tonyuk73 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
who_be_dat
Bandit
Bandit

Re: help! flashing red light on ps3

Post by who_be_dat »

Heat both sides of mobo wit a heat gun. Put new termal paste on. You can emergency ejec disc by having console on standby and hold down eject button for about 15 or 20 sec thn the ps3 should turn on, fans will kick up really high then the disc sould eject.
tonyuk73
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Post by tonyuk73 »

who_be_dat wrote:Heat both sides of mobo wit a heat gun. Put new termal paste on. You can emergency ejec disc by having console on standby and hold down eject button for about 15 or 20 sec thn the ps3 should turn on, fans will kick up really high then the disc sould eject.
Thanks a lot looks like this is the way and been looking into it all day, just been waiting for a answer from this site and the thermal compound is in the post and heat gun at ready ;) once again thanks :)
who_be_dat
Bandit
Bandit

Post by who_be_dat »

No problem..
tonyuk73
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Post by tonyuk73 »

Just a recap on this, all went well with the heat gun method :P was a bit scared on applying all that heat on to the board,but it seems it did not bother it, got the heat gun for £20 from wilkinsons and orderd the thermal compound of the net £6.All in all a great saving ,lets see how long the fix works. ;)
Used this tut to take the ps3 apart http://www.robinhoodsplayground.com/for ... 104&t=3792
thanks to jockavelli

The only advise i can give and let me say that i or RHPG can not and will not be responsible for any damage you cause if it all goes pear shape on you, you do it at your own risk.Do a risk assesment and use the correct PPE. ie saftey glasses.And before you start give the ps3 a good blow out get rid of all that dust and dead skin thats inside :lol: but dont blow into the fan or blue ray drive remember there is moving parts i.e bushes and bearings that do not like dust.

1] Remove all the old thermal compound off the GPU and the CPU. (also off the heat sink that touches the chips)

2] Use a heat gun that can give out at least 500F,now pre heat the board all over holding the gun about 2 inches away i did it in a circular motion making sure that the gun did not stay in one area for more than 1 second.I did that for 1 min then turned the board over and then pre heated the other side for one min.

3] Now with the GPU and the CPU faceing up (the way that is shown in my picture below) apply the heat to the two main chips in the centre of the board (the GPU and the CPU),(at this point do not move the mother board even when the heat up proccess as finished do not move the board for at least 15 min) in a circular motion over the GPU apply the heat for about 1 min then move over to the CPU for 1 min i kept the gun about 3 inches away remmember do not keep the gun in one place keep it moving around in a circular motion.

4] cool down the board right away with a hairdryer on cold for about 2 min.I held it about 12 inches away and worked it nice and gentile,do not move the board.

5] leave the board alone for 15 min.do not move the board.Apply the new thermal compound (if you spill any thermal compound on the board remove it) to the GPU and CPU when the board has been left to cool down.re-assemble Ps3.

and good luck ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tonyuk73 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
who_be_dat
Bandit
Bandit

Post by who_be_dat »

Glad to hear it worked.
tonyuk73
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Re: flashing red light on ps3

Post by tonyuk73 »

must say i did enjoy working on my ps3 i am very impressed with all the work sony has put into this version.its a shame something as simple as what is called "dry joints" let it down within 2 years.
who_be_dat
Bandit
Bandit

Re: flashing red light on ps3 fix

Post by who_be_dat »

I got my heat gun for $15. Brand new
tonyuk73
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Post by tonyuk73 »

who_be_dat wrote:I got my heat gun for $15. Brand new
wow man ive just converted that to the queens head it comes to about £9.50 thats cheap as chips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
who_be_dat
Bandit
Bandit

Post by who_be_dat »

Ebay, Northern Industrial Brand. yours maybe alil better. Mine doesn't have finger guard.
tonyuk73
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Post by tonyuk73 »

hi just a update on this it failed today :cry: but only took me 40 min to strip it down and give it a blast with the heat gun and put it back together again all working fine now see how long this last's :lol: ,i think its a sign to get my cash out and get a new one.But i'm going to ride it out to the last.
who_be_dat
Bandit
Bandit

Post by who_be_dat »

Yea sometime you gotta heat the board up pretty good to have better results. Ive seen a video on youtube where someone used flux on the board near the chips. Its suppose to help with joints on the board. Ill Try to get the video lata.
tonyuk73
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Post by tonyuk73 »

who_be_dat wrote:Yea sometime you gotta heat the board up pretty good to have better results. Ive seen a video on youtube where someone used flux on the board near the chips. Its suppose to help with joints on the board. Ill Try to get the video lata.

please search it out the more help the better..the flux is to help the solder flow.cleans up the joints.
who_be_dat
Bandit
Bandit

Post by who_be_dat »

here it is sorry it took so long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZRReDIHTe0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tonyuk73
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Post by tonyuk73 »

who_be_dat wrote:here it is sorry it took so long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZRReDIHTe0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks man.This kind of stuff is great.the flux is a great idea.all these years working in a electrical enviroment and ive never seen flux you can squirt in a bottle.when you told me about it in your last post i had visions of someone useing like plumbers solder flux if you know what i mean.lol. what a mess that would of been.

Return to “General information”