What do I do with a bad block??

lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

What do I do with a bad block??

Post by lilrevuk »

Got 2 flashed so far, but an old one that I've been given (with a broken UMD drive) has a bad block when I do the dump. Anything I can do to repair this, or should I go ahead and flash anyway??

lilrevuk
And if at first you don't succeed..? Order the damn card! :Phttp://tekgems.com/Products/la-pci22-vt6421a.htm
Mirc is a place to chat, post up on the site for help!!!
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: What do I do with a bad block??

Post by CoFree »

i would wait with that one man
my first one did something like that.
let sadalius have a read and see what he says
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Depending on which block it is, it may be a problem. I would go ahead and try to flash it and see what happens. Just make sure you have a nand dump so you can restore it if it does something freaky. If you flash it and it does wig out on you, just boot back to pandora and restore the nand with the dump that you did of it and it should be back to normal. Keep in mind that if that block is in a certain range, then its quite possible that if you don't mod it, even the next official update could brick it. Notice I use terms like could and possible with that last statement. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Either which way, if that block is in that particular range, and everything works right, that PSP will be a ticking time bomb waiting to brick. If its not in a particular range, then it should be ok because all other ranges can be reconditioned by the update.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

Thanks, have tried the dump a few times, and the block is always in the same area...

Just one thing though, next to the option to restore the nand it says (potentially dangerous!)... anything I should be aware of??

lilrevuk
And if at first you don't succeed..? Order the damn card! :Phttp://tekgems.com/Products/la-pci22-vt6421a.htm
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

It's potentially dangerous if you were to happen to use the nand dump from a different psp. As long as your using the dump that came from that psp you should be alright.
Sadalius

lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

gotya...

dumped the flash and renamed all of them fror safe keeping... flash went fine to 3.80 -5, so i imagine the block wasn't updated??

lilrevuk

P.S. what are the benefits are using the time machine to downgrade a slim to 1.5/3.40?? Can I upgrade back to 3.90 afterwards and use the 1.5 add ons?
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

The benefits of using the time machine would be so you could play a game or use homebrew that won't run on the newer kernels without having to downgrade and then re-upgrading just to get the features of the newer kernels so you can play the latest games. Basically put, the time machine lets you boot a compatible kernel from memory stick. You can put what ever homebrew or games that you want on it, even on a slim (Except IR stuff on slims). Its meant to keep you from having to downgrade and re-upgrade so much.

The 1.50 add ons are only for the fat psp's. They won't work on the slims. Thats why DAX came out with the time machine.

If you installed 3.80 m33-5 and its running fine, you shouldn't have to worry about that block again. If you try to dump it again, it'll probably still show as bad, but it should still function fine. It's only when that bad block falls into a certain area of memory that you have to worry. CoFree has a little experience in that department :D
Sadalius

Return to “General information”