UMD Drive

Boomtown
Peasant
Peasant

UMD Drive

Post by Boomtown »

Hey guy's! I got a psp 1001 from a friend and it has some umd issues. So far I have determined its the UMD drive motor thats dead on it.. Was just wondering if anyone knew a place I can buy JUST the motor instead of having to get a whole new drive.. the kid I got it from put a disk in backwards and forced it shut.. At first it just made a bad grinding sound, now it doesnt even spin unless I lift the metal wire on the black ring part out with a flat head screw driver. Then I am able to turn it freely with my finger, no grinding noise. When I put the wire back in, the drive twitches slightly... You can see it but if you have just the motor plugged in you can feel it. (Just figured I'd explain the problem a little in case someone else was having this issue also..)

All I really am looking for is the motor and spindle itself rather than a full new drive.

Boomtown
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: UMD Drive

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Its kind of a specialty part you'll probably have a hell of a time tracking it down. It'll probably be easier to just buy a new drive. The motor is the majority of the drive anyhow.
Boomtown
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Boomtown »

Alrighty, one question on that... Are all UMD drives the same? For instance.. will a 2001 work in a 1001?
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

I dont think so, I dont own a psp, so im not sure, but I doubt it.

Go take a look at psp modding/repair websites, and if they sell 2001 umd's and 1001 umd's etc than theyre different.

Return to “General information”