Just got one...

lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Just got one...

Post by lilrevuk »

Hey all, just bought a PSP with 3.72 FW.

I want to mod it, so I've been reading up and know I need to make a Pandora Set.

My question is, it asked me to update, is this ok to do?

Are there any updates that can brick?? I'm new to these things, so I need a little guidance :)

lilrevuk
And if at first you don't succeed..? Order the damn card! :Phttp://tekgems.com/Products/la-pci22-vt6421a.htm
Mirc is a place to chat, post up on the site for help!!!
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Just got one...

Post by sadalius »

Well, yeah, any update can brick your PSP. But that would only occur if the flash rom of your PSP had a bad memory block in a certain location. It's rare, but it does happen. For the most part, its pretty safe to mod one. I've done about 4 of them just to see how easy it is. I've only seen one throw a pure fit and that was CoFree's first slim. It had a bad memory block though. But he got that taken care of.

Yup, to mod it, you'll need a pandora set. The bad thing about that is, to create one, you'll need access to a PSP that is already modded. I just posted a guide on creating one in the psp guides section the other day. There are folks that will make a set for you by mailing them a spare battery and pro duo memory card. Some charge money, some will do it in exchange for a memory card or an extra battery (Barter for a living anyone? :D) you can even find a few that does it for free, but if I know you lilrevuk, your gonna want to figure this out on your own.

From what I've read, there is a way to create a pandora set without having access to an already modded PSP, but I have no way of testing it.

Here is a LINK to that guide. Maybe if you go through it and get it to work, you could work up a guide to put up here? I do know that the download feature of the Pandora GUI that this guide is talking about doesn't work so you'll have to download that seperately. There is links for official Sony firmwares hosted on an external site in the psp download section as well.

Anyway, hope you find the info helpful and if you have any questions, just let me know.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

Thanks sadalius, I am looking to mod the battery, and I do know someone with one that's already been done...

it's soldering close to a high power battery that's putting me off. I like my fingers the way they are :P

I think I'm gonna buy a spare (battery), looks like some work to get the pin back in...

lilrevuk
And if at first you don't succeed..? Order the damn card! :Phttp://tekgems.com/Products/la-pci22-vt6421a.htm
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

if you have the $$$ that is just what i would do .
just leave that battery fixed and get a new one for everyday play.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

I could get one made up from ebay for around £40, but I've seen them going for around £15 normally. And for the sake of one pin, I ain't paying 25 quid :D

Do you have to desolder the pin, or could you just cut it?

i guess if you don't desolder, you have a chance of it touching pin 5, or even worse somthing else??

lilrevuk
sccrbrandon4788
Possible Ally of Robinhood
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by sccrbrandon4788 »

sadalius wrote:I've only seen one throw a pure fit and that was CoFree's first slim. It had a bad memory block though.
When you say a "bad memory block", you talking about his brain? :lol:
lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

Ha, I'm sure if you tried to update my brain, it would brick due to at least a few bad memory blocks :P
lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

Sweet, I've found a guy off a list (easily found with google) from another forum who says he'll do me the PSP and memory for just shipping :)

But I'm still not sure whether to send it him... I like fiddling :geek:

lilrevuk
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

man you just need to know who your sending your stuff to.
ill help if you want.
shipping would be more to get it to this side of the big pond but at least you know who your working with.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

I know, that's the dodgy part. I don't know the guy personally, just saw it on a list. But I guess if they want to stay on that list, they have to fulifil their promise.

Thanks man,I might take you up on that, we'll see how things go this week. I don't mind paying for shipping over the pond, I know it will be done right...

lilrevuk
Klutsh
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Klutsh »

:(
I've only just sold my PSP otherwise I would have done it!!
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Only one thing I'm not sure of. If a pandora set thats made off an NTSC PSP what it would do to a PAL PSP. I need to research this out. My initial thinking was that it should work, but I'm not sure. I'll find out though and post back.
Sadalius

Klutsh
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Klutsh »

sadalius wrote:Only one thing I'm not sure of. If a pandora set thats made off an NTSC PSP what it would do to a PAL PSP. I need to research this out. My initial thinking was that it should work, but I'm not sure. I'll find out though and post back.
I'm 99% sure it would work, as the PSP is not region locked.
Sony only put up 1 firmware update up and we all use it.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

This is correct. Like Klutsh said, the PSP is region free so you could fix a PAL PSP with a Pandora set made from an NTSC PSP, if you want to classify them as PAL and NTSC that is.
Sadalius

Return to “General information”