Dual Boot Hackintosh finally working

BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Dual Boot Hackintosh finally working

Post by BobSeager »

I have an MSI Wind u120 and was finally able to dual boot Snow Leopard and Windows 7. The screen below is what you are greeted with upon boot, and you just choose the one you want to run (Although mine only has Snow and Win7). Heads up, driver installation can be a major chore, often I had to reformat in linux, partition in Mac, then install both OS's from scratch...not a fun process.

I'm amazed at how well this 1.6ghz Atom processor computer with 1gb of ram and on-board video runs Snow Leopard. I cannot notice any difference between the speed of it and my friend's $2k Macbook Pro (when just using the OS and browser)

Credit goes to the folks at Insanely Wind, if you want to try it out, here is the only method I was able to acheive sucess with of the many, many that I tried...

The Guide--> http://insanelywind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sccrbrandon4788
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Re: Dual Boot Hackintosh finally working

Post by sccrbrandon4788 »

Know enough to help me out?
cainhunpi
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by cainhunpi »

I have a PC installed with OS X the only problem is that i couldn't find a driver for my graphics card, so my monitor is 16:10 and my resolution is 5:4 everything looks a bit stretched
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

sccrbrandon4788 wrote:Know enough to help me out?
I can try, the biggest issue is undoubtedly driver support, but without the right hardware you get kernel panics upon loading up the installation so from that perspective it's kind of nice because you will know in advance whether the system will at least allow you to install (drivers are the next issue). I chose the wind specifically for the OSx support, but I have 4 other computers that will not boot the disc at all. Did you try running through the linked-guide and get stuck somewhere?

That guide definetly works to get snow leopard going. You can follow the first part of the Dalton guide linked to in that URL to get snow leopard installed on a usb, from there you can try to boot from usb/install on different hardware configurations at least. Again, drivers are just going to be a google search and crossed fingers for support. Although I think the process is so hit-and-miss it's difficult to get support for specific drivers/questions.

Here's a nice wiki for a quick glance at some hardware support
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL
sccrbrandon4788

The problem I've been running into is either that distro I dl'd was messed up, or it won't install because of my hardware. There's got to be a way. I've been on hackint0sh and insanelymac reading like crazy, but nothing is really helping. I've been able to clone an existing install from my dell mini 9, but I couldn't get it to boot with Chameleon, only with an install disk and using rd=disk1s2 and it would boot up, but my display was messed up and no internet.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

If its a hardware configuration that's inducing a kernal panic upon boot I don't really know what to say. I bought my Wind to get around that issue (and I suspect you got your mini9 to do the same?) ;)
sccrbrandon4788

Well the mini is the fiance's, just hooked up an external hard drive and dvd drive and installed it easily. The netbooks are easy though.

I'm getting closer to getting it to work, just so time consuming.

Return to “General information”