How to increase Windows XP pro bandwidth

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

How to increase Windows XP pro bandwidth

Post by sadalius »

If your like me, I'm always looking for a way to increase my internet speed. Well, here is an easy way to gain a 20% boost in bandwidth in Windows XP professional. You can do the same thing in XP Home, but it has to be done through a registry edit.

1. For the sake of anyone who may be skeptical, go somewhere and run a bandwidth test.
2. Make sure that QOS is checked in your local area connection properties and then click Start and then click run, type gpedit.msc and hit ok or enter.
3. Under Computer configuration on the left hand side, click the + next to Administrative Templates, click the + next to Network, then click on QOS Packet Scheduler, not the +, but QOS Packet scheduler itself.
4. Now on the right hand side, double click on Limit Reservable Bandwidth. If it's set to Not Configured or Disabled, change it to Enabled. If it's already set to enabled, then proceed to change the Bandwidth limit (%) to 0.
5. Click Apply, and then click OK and close the Group Policy Editor.
6. Re-run your bandwidth test and see if you didn't pick some speed up.

How does this work?? Seems Microsoft reserves 20% of bandwidth by default for windows updates and things of that nature that are deemed high priority. Doing this will turn that reserve off and allow it to be fully used by what your actually doing. It's easy enough to do and if you do find that you have a program that you depend on suffers because of priority conflicts, just change it back to the way it was.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: How to increase Windows XP pro bandwidth

Post by CoFree »

looks cool
ill try when i get on my xp computer
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

Could you send the details of the registry key, I'm running Home and would like to try...........?
And if at first you don't succeed..? Order the damn card! :Phttp://tekgems.com/Products/la-pci22-vt6421a.htm
Mirc is a place to chat, post up on the site for help!!!
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

ok, apologies are in order. Seems that there is not registry edit for the QOS tweak for XP home. Although I could have sworn that there were. The information that I'm finding says that it's a XP Pro only tweak.
Sadalius

lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

not fair! :P

I know home doesn't have Group Policy, but I thought the registry setting would still be there....?
And if at first you don't succeed..? Order the damn card! :Phttp://tekgems.com/Products/la-pci22-vt6421a.htm
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

It may well be, but I'm not finding it. I've been looking for a about 3 hours now. If I run across it, I'll post it up here for you.
Sadalius

lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

I did a bit of searching myself and couldn't find a great deal, found a registry key related to the service but nothing was active...
TurbotimE
Squire
Squire

Post by TurbotimE »

im a member of a forum that creates customised xp and vista install disks, most of which have all the tweaks and most of the extra crap taken out....its invite only, but if any1 is interested or might have a problem with xp or vista, drop me a pm and i can invite ya;)

*EDIT*
it turns out, it is no longer invite only............i am going to post a link here....if i do wrong in doing this, please remove the link.........
http://www.karuptrevolution.net
great forum for xp/vista probs/custom builds etc..

Return to “General information”