ps/2 problem

darrenp76
Bandit
Bandit

ps/2 problem

Post by darrenp76 »

My PC with Windows XP SP3 has a problem with the ps/2 ports. Niether the mouse or keyboard will work anymore. The mouse will stay light and the keyboard lights will flash for a half second when it is plugged it but that is it.

I have checked the drivers, cleaned and updated the registry and plugged and unplugged them many times after rebooting. The PC is 3 years old and I have never encountered this before.

So I guess I have 2 questions:

Is there a way to get them working again?

I have USB mouse and keyboard also, but I cannot access my BIOS until Windows loads to use them. Is there a way to use the USB keyboard to get to the BIOS?

Thank you for any help!!
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Re: ps/2 problem

Post by commando_lee »

you wouldnt need to get into your bios. do you have a password to log into windows?

i done a machine that had the problem all i did was connect the ps2 keyboard and the usb keyboard and mouse and when you get to the desktop windows will find the usb device
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
darrenp76
Bandit
Bandit

Post by darrenp76 »

My USB devices work ( I bought a USB keyboard/mouse), but I flash my drive with Iprep and now I cant get the keyboard to work. The USB ones work fine once Windows loads, but when the PC is booting up I cant get to safe mode, bios, etc because they arent working yet.
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Post by commando_lee »

well the only alternative is, its a long shot but worth a try. You can reset the bios and take the battery off the motherboard. this will reset the mobo back to its first state. and try again is that fails then you cant do it.

EDIT commando

Thinking about it, have a look for a bios update for your motherboard, you may be able to update the bios so it will enable you to have usb support
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.

Return to “General information”