Inventor of domain name system hasn't seen a penny

Have a read and let us know what you think.
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Inventor of domain name system hasn't seen a penny

Post by commando_lee »

Inventor of domain name system hasn't seen a penny from his creation
By Guy Raz

Paul Mockapetris, the creator of the domain name system that translates input like "www.google.com" from text into the IP addresses that make up the world wide web, has made no money whatsoever from his invention, according to a report from America's National Public Radio.

NPR reports that DNS is one of the "fundamental building blocks of the internet", and that Mockapetris was more or less responsible for hammering the disparate elements that made up the various proto-internet networks into a coherent whole. "Mockapetris realized early on that to accommodate all the millions or more addresses that were about to bloom, they were going to need a better naming system", wrote Guy Raz.

Mockapetris, while he never did reap the dizzying rewards that he no doubt could have from his invention, remains equable about the experience, telling NPR that "A friend of mine said I was smart enough to invent the DNS, but not smart enough to own it".

He remains active, as a chief scientist, at Nominum, an ENUM-based IP-application routing directory, which has recently made strides in the application of DNS security protocols to any scale of computing enterprise.
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.

Return to “Front Page News”