Judge rules Nintendo ILLEGALLY protects systems

Have a read and let us know what you think.
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Judge rules Nintendo ILLEGALLY protects systems

Post by commando_lee »

Judge rules Nintendo ILLEGALLY protects systems should be like WINDOWS
Orig source maxconsole.net

We have just heard that Nintendo has today lost a major court case against the Divineo group in the main court of Paris. Nintendo originally took the group to court over DS flash carts, however the judge today has ruled against Nintendo and suggested that they are purposely locking out developers from their consoles and things should be more like Windows where ANYONE can develop any application if they wish to.
The ramifications of this are huge, as it indicates that flash carts are actually legal. Moroever, it could have bigger implications for developers and the like because Nintendo is deemed to be 'illegally' protecting their system by locking users out. Therefore, developers should not actually require separate development kits and should just be able to develop applications as they wish on retail versions of Nintendo's consoles.
And on a final note, this truly was a HUGE court case, up in the main court of Paris France and seems likely to be relevant to the whole of Europe.
Essentially, if people have to 'hack' the system and use Flash Carts to do develop, then it's all fine because Nintendo has left them with little other choice and the system should not be protected in such a restrictive way.
Full court documents will be available soon.

What can be deduced from this astonishing news ? The mighty Nintendo who have every modder around the globe quaking in their boots due to their now famous aggressive tactics against their systems' protection have finally been beaten in court on a ruling that should send shockwaves throughout the industry.

For the first time, even though France tech laws are usually locked within their borders, this has the very real possibility of setting a precedence throughout Europe, and maybe the rest of the world on the rule of what you are able to do with a games system without being chained to a draconian EUCD or DMCA law. Now doubt an appeal will follow however developers should be ecstatic at this news. More news as we hear it......
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
Hackedit
Bandit
Bandit

Re: Judge rules Nintendo ILLEGALLY protects systems

Post by Hackedit »

In my opinion this judge must have been an idiot. Nintendo is not the only company the does not give dev tools to everyone and let people do what they will on a system. Just look at Apple the biggest company that locks people out from doing what they want when they want.

EDIT: Real bad spelling

"It's really not fair for conscious beings to be aware of their own mortality."
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

Hackedit wrote:In my opinion this judge must have been an idiot.
well i disagree with you.
We should be able to develop on all system.
If someone wishes to install a app i developed on there system
M$,Apple or any other should not have the right to stop them
the Wii is just the one that was in front of him.

I hope this holds up
I love it.

A person can code for the apple computer
by the way.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Post by commando_lee »

Personaly i think the judge deservs a beer from the modding and development scene.

................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
tonyuk73
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Post by tonyuk73 »

nice post man...my feeling on this is its a step in the right direction even more for homebrew.
Hackedit
Bandit
Bandit

Post by Hackedit »

I think my words may have put down wrong, i feel that open source is the way to go but it sucks that it takes a case that Nintendo has against a company in order for them to be shot down in a sense to keep it closed. As far as the Mac yes its open but the Iphone or Ipod no way not unless you get a jailbroken phone or write something and wait for approval and then get your profits cut right off the top. And Microsoft itself is not as open as this judge might think, obviously an end-user has to violate ToS in order to homebrew, But it is very good that they do have XNA available to people who are willing to pay for it. maybe Nintendo should do something in that sense.

"It's really not fair for conscious beings to be aware of their own mortality."
djshauny1
Possible Ally of Robinhood
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by djshauny1 »

commando_lee wrote:Personaly i think the judge deservs a beer from the modding and development scene.

I Agree
Well done judge
lol
GRASSASS
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by GRASSASS »

bet the judge just got his kids a R4i for xmas :)

good call tho
a flashing frenzy huh huh
Deathuntou
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by Deathuntou »

WOW!!! this might just be a way of defeating M$ also. Think about it, and soon to follow PS3,psp and so on it should be interesting to see how it all turns out in the end.
trailz
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by trailz »

AWESOME!!! I'm getting really tired of software/hardware companies trying to everyone what can and can't be developed for them. I hope Datel can pull out a win against M$ here in the states.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
you just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake.

Return to “Front Page News”