Taking apart the DS and the Game Chamber

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Taking apart the DS and the Game Chamber

Post by CoFree »

Well I was able to find a video on opening up the DS lite.
here is the video.

so far so good.
You will need a small Phillips screw driver
and
A tri screw driver for the Nintendo games (yes the one for the wii will work)

BUT
now the trouble.
I could not find anything that showed how to take the game chamber apart.

I took the first cover off and stopped there.I did not need to go any farther than that to open the game chamber.
If you look at the picture you can see.

The first thing you have to do is unsolder the 4 small square solder points that I have circled in red.
Once you have pulled the solder off(I used solder wick)
You can take the silver lid off.
I can not stress enough GO SLOW WITH THE LID.
For one reason the whole chamber will want to lift up.
I started with the right side.(looking at it as a game goes in)
After you get the cover coming off stop.On the back right side there is a very small hole in the metal cover.That hole is holding the game spring.Easily lift it till you know the spring is off.

The only thing holding the chamber down at this point is the 17 small pins that are soldered on the board.
Also there is a very small KEY(for lack of a better word)that will fly off and be lost in the depth of hell. :D
It is a small long rod that is bent down on both ends.
In the first picture its on the right lower side.In the second picture its on the upper right side of the picture.
This little key is what holds the game in when you push it in.It clicks over and stops the game from popping out till its pushed in again.
One more thing to keep a eye on is the back.The spring that pushes the game out will push out the back.It then has to be lined up right and slide back in.That is not to bad to do.This spring is what the small hole on the back of the cover was holding.

I had to do this job because my 4 year old put the game in backward.
She was off in her room playing when i heard hammering.So being the good father I got up and went to see what in the world she was doing.
She was holding the DS in one hand and kocking the crap out of the game/DS with the hammer in her other hand.
When i ask her what she did it for,she just said the game was not working.

so anyway
what she had done was pushed the left 2 pins down.
It did not do any damage other than push them down under where they could not pop back up.
I took a razor blade and putting the tip under the pin lifted ever so slightly and the pins popped up.

I put the DS back together and tested it out.
It works good.

:lol: :lol:
Crap I did not know the wife's camera would take that good of a picture of something so small.
sweeeet.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.

Return to “General information”