Best Operating system for DS?

BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Best Operating system for DS?

Post by BobSeager »

I have some old version of r4 on an m3 simply flash card...works superbly well for all i want it to do

Is there anything thats a bit more fun and interactive? I guess video codecs are out of the question...

Plus, can someone recommend an OS that has a soft-reset function? Or is that flash-card dependant?
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Best Operating system for DS?

Post by CoFree »

im not sure what you are asking
moonshell will play videos
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

R4 has soft reset capability, but I don't know if having it on the M3 flash cart will let it work or not. But yeah, moonshell works right nice for video and audio as well. Everything in video is limited to dpg files though. They have a version of moonshell for the R4 on their website if your interested in trying it. The soft reset on the R4 should be to hold both shoulder buttons+A+B+X+Y all at the same time. The soft reset wasn't introduced until the last few R4 updates, so you might get a newer download of it. I think you might have to enable it (soft reset) in the advanced settings or something. Been a while since I've played with the R4 since I got my cyclods evolution.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

Its been awhile since I have looked hard at flash cards, so many options now. Is cyclods really that much better...I mean I have the oldschool m3 simply and it works fine (ie. compatible with all I've thrown at it). Plus, instead of moonshell which was default with the m3 simply, I placed the r4 'firmware/os whatever' on to it.

Do you have moonshell on cyclods or something different?

I just don't see a reason to go with anything except the cheapest flash card
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

yea
moonshell runs with cyclos card.
man my thinking is you dont fix what is not broke
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't suggesting buying a new card, just getting the latest R4 software and dropping it on your M3 like you did with the older version of R4. It might give you the soft reset that your after.

It's not that the cyclods is "way" better than the R4, the main difference is that it has an onboard flash chip that the cards firmware is loaded onto. You don't have to have the cards firmware on your memory card so it frees up some space so you could squeeze a rom or 2 more on the card. Thats the main difference. I would stick with what you have, just go up to the latest version of the R4 sw.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please

Return to “General information”