Burning A Backup Using ImgBurn 2.4.0 (or later)

Please only 360 guide here
NeoRio
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Burning A Backup Using ImgBurn 2.4.0 (or later)

Post by NeoRio »

ImgBurn v2.4.0 (or later) Backup Burning Tutorial

--A note about Dual Layer DVD media--
It is necessary to use DL DVD+R media to burn Xbox 360 games. Verbatim discs are reputedly the best quality DL discs available. I recommend you go with Verbatim for burning your Xbox 360 games (the cheapest place to buy them is on eBay). Try to get the Verbatim DL discs that are manufactured in Singapore, those are the highest quality ones, not the ones manufactured in India. Other users have reported good results with Sony, Maxell, Memorex and even other brands of DL DVD media, so the choice is really yours, but it does seem to be a proven fact that Verbatim media is the best and stands above the others and will last the longest and will also put less strain on your DVD laser compared to cheap DVD media. Bad or cheap media can put more stress on your DVD drive which can possibly shorten its life.

(Note: You can burn your Xbox 360 game ISOs with a number of different programs, like ImgBurn, CloneCD, and even Xbox Backup Creator (as well as others)...they pretty much all do the same thing. I have found ImgBurn to be my favorite after having tried a few.)

(Begin Tutorial)
If you backed up your game using Xbox Backup Creator with a Samsung SH-D162C (or another Kreon compatible) DVD drive, it should have created 2 files; an ISO (large image file which is your game) and a small .dvd file (both with the same filename but different extensions). If you already have those 2 files ripped (dumped), ImgBurn 2.4.0 (and later) will know how to read the Layer Break from the .dvd file and you can skip to Step 4 below.

Assuming you do not have a .dvd file accompanying the ISO image file of your game, you will need to create one first. Follow steps 1-3 to create a .dvd file.

1. Ensure that you have "Hide extensions for known file types" disabled in Windows. (You can do this by opening Windows Explorer-->Pulling down the "Tools" tab-->Selecting "Folder Options"-->Selecting the "View" tab-->Scroll down to where you see "Hide extensions..." make sure the box is unchecked.)
2. Now create a new Text file (right click-->New-->create a new-->Text Document). Once you have named the Text document, go ahead and open it. We will only be creating 2 lines; on the first line type LayerBreak=1913760 and on the second line type the exact name of the ISO that you have, i.e. GTAIV.iso. Your Text file should look like this (if you were backing up GTAIV):
Text Document Example.jpg
3. Now rename the new Text document that you just created to match the name of the ISO exactly...and change the extension from .txt to .dvd--so in this example change the Text file to GTAIV.dvd

4. [You can start at this point if you already have both your ISO and .dvd files]
Launch ImgBurn and click on the icon at the top left that says "Write image file to disc"
IB1.jpg
5. Click on the folder icon at the top next to where it says "Please select a file..." and then browse to your .dvd file (you should have both the .dvd file and the ISO files in the same place).

Select the .dvd file (as the file you want to burn) so that it will create your LayerBreak automatically. (By selecting the .dvd file it will automatically burn the larger ISO file to your disc properly.)

Set your burn speed to 2.4x (safest speed to do your burn in my opinion), un-select “Test Mode” and “Verify” (unless you want to test and verify your copy which will take twice as long). Click the large icon to burn. Sit back and wait for the backup to burn.

(While the disc is burning you may not want to push your computer too hard by running other applications as this could result in a coaster [bad burn]. Even on my fast computer, I have pushed my computer too hard by having several applications open while browsing the internet at the same time that the disc was burning and this has resulted in some coasters. Now I prefer to leave my computer all alone while burning so as not to take any chances!)

All done! Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NeoRio on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Burning A Backup Using ImgBurn 2.4.0 (or later)

Post by Sesshomaru »

Nice guide. There's no need to manually set the Layer Break to 1913760, ImgBurn 2.0 and later will automatically read the Layer Break from the dvd file. If there is no dvd file present with an iso, it's safer to manually create one than use the manual layer break option. That option can actually cause coasters in some cases.
NeoRio
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by NeoRio »

Sesshomaru wrote:If there is no dvd file present with an iso, it's safer to manually create one than use the manual layer break option. That option can actually cause coasters in some cases.
Interesting. How would you create a .dvd file?--can you give an example?

Thanks!
Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

Yeah it's pretty easy. Make sure you have hide extensions for known file types disabled in Windows. Right click anywhere in Explorer and create a new text document. Then double click the new text document to open it. Once inside on the first line type the exact name of the iso, i.e. GTA IV.iso and on the second line type LayerBreak=1913760. So the inside of the text file should look like this.

Code: Select all

GTAIV.iso
LayerBreak=1913760
Then rename the new text document to match the name of the iso exactly and change the extension to dvd. So in this case GTAIV.dvd

Then you just load the dvd file into ImgBurn and burn as normal.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

ood guide man.
ive never had trouble setting the layer break my self.
i do how ever use a dvd file layer break.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
NeoRio
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by NeoRio »

Thanks for the heads up on how to create the .dvd file. Out of interest, I just opened a .dvd file I had on my HD for ProStreet. I opened it in Notepad to see if it would look like what you described. Instead of having the ISO name on the first line, it has the 2 lines reversed, like this:

LayerBreak=1913760
ProStreet.iso

...so just thought I'd double-check wit you, is the LayerBreak supposed to be on the top line and the ISO name on the 2nd instead of the other way around?
Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

Doesn't matter in my experience. I've always manually created dvd files the way I described and never had any issues when burning games. I just double checked with ImgBurn and imported a GTAIV.dvd file into ImgBurn 2.4.1 and the Layer Break data was displayed correctly in the gui. As long as you see LB 1913760 in the gui of ImgBurn next to sectors, you should be fine. If you want to be 100% sure you could try manually creating a dvd file for a game you want to burn in the format I posted. If you are more comfortable, you can do it the exact same way as XBC. It's always worked on my setup and for other people I have helped with it.
Koko766
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Koko766 »

Thank you so much for this information. I followed it step by step and had no problems at all. Also gave me such a good information on what games to get in order for my xbox 360 to play them.
NeoRio
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by NeoRio »

Koko766 wrote:Thank you so much for this information. I followed it step by step and had no problems at all. Also gave me such a good information on what games to get in order for my xbox 360 to play them.
Glad it helped. Even with all the new changes in iXtreme releases and Stealth Checking methods (ABG360), etc, ripping and burning a game from your original disc is still the same. I use Xbox Backup Creator to rip and ImgBurn to burn it.

Best Regards
dalecheesy
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by dalecheesy »

Nice clear guide, respect.
robcart65
Peasant
Peasant

Post by robcart65 »

are they going to change the games or are they going to be the same games that are out today, just a different XBOX System. Because i want to keep my xbox i have, because it is modded, so will everything still be that same, everything be normal just like it is, even though new system is coming out.
There is to be "NO" links to download files or games.
There is to be "NO" talk of downloading anything on this board.
This is your only warring.next time you will be banned.
you can change your sig if you would like now that you have read this.

CoFree
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

not sure you are asking a question
if your are its in the wrong place
that is for sure
post your question in the right spot
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.

Return to “Xbox360 guides go here”