Flashing The BenQ Drive With iPrep 101 V006

Please only 360 guide here
NeoRio
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Flashing The BenQ Drive With iPrep 101 V006

Post by NeoRio »

FLASHING THE BENQ DRIVE WITH IPREP 101 V006

This tutorial will teach you how to flash the Firmware of your BenQ DVD drive using iPrep 101 v006. The purpose of flashing an Xbox 360 DVD drive with a Firmware other than the "stock" Firmware from Microsoft that your drive originally comes with is to enable your DVD drive to be able to recognize (read) your backup copies of games (as well as original game discs). Without flashing the Firmware, your 360 would simply not recognize any non-original Xbox 360 game CD. Before getting started, please take a minute to decide what "tools" you may be lacking to successfully complete the flash. While you may not have planned on spending any money to flash your 360's drive, I'm afraid you will need to spend at least a little. Read over the list below and then decide which items you will need to buy before setting out to flash your drive.

BEFORE GETTING STARTED (THINGS YOU MAY NEED):
  • Tools to open your Xbox 360 (refer to the tutorial on how to open your 360 for assistance).
  • A USB pen drive or a blank CD (to boot into DOS from).
  • A "Connectivity Kit". While you don't need a Connectivity Kit to flash your drive, it will make the process a little easier.--and if you plan on flashing more than one or 2 drives (in your lifetime), you may find it to be a justified expense that will pay for itself in the long run. The Connectivity Kit will basically serve the purpose of supplying power to your Xbox 360 DVD drive during the flashing process. You will need to power up and power down the drive several times...and it's not fun having to turn the Xbox 360 on and off to do that each time. You could, however get by with simply using the Xbox 360's own power supply to power your drive, but it will be an easier process (and possibly safer) to flash your DVD drive while it is not getting its power from the 360 itself. I recommend the Xecuter Connectivity Kit V3 (Lite or Pro versions) which allows you to power up/down the 360 DVD drive with the switch of a button. (If you can find one on eBay you will receive it much quicker than waiting for shipping from Canada or Australia.)
  • You will also need a compatible SATA (Serial ATA) interface to be able to connect your 360 DVD drive to the computer. Some motherboards come equipped with onboard SATA controllers, but (believe me when I say)...that I have read so many posts from people not being able to properly communicate with their DVD drive and thus not being able to flash the drive and it almost always comes down to them not having the right SATA chipset...usually because they try to use their onboard SATA controller instead of buying the right one. In order to avoid the headache of not knowing why you can't flash your drive...I highly recommend you shell out $11 to buy this tried and proven VIA VT6421A PCI SATA controller. Yes, you will need to install in into your motherboard; but it will make many of your problems disappear during the flashing process.
PREPARING THE IXTREME FIRMWARE
1. Open iPrep 101 v006
2. Load BenQ Firmware (selecting the RAR archive is all you need to do)
3. Click “No” till you get to the 12x speed Firmware
4. Check the “Patch MTKFlash” box
5. Make sure you have the correct RAID controller selected
6. Select the destination where you want the Firmware placed (if you are using a flash drive you can select to “Format/make device bootable”, otherwise root directory of your C drive is best)
7. Power down the computer (doing a “restart” won’t necessarily work)

DUMPING ORIGINAL FIRMWARE
Using NTFS4DOS bootable CD as boot device (works as long as primary partition is under 32MB)
Download NTFS4DOS here and burn to bootable CD: http://www.360mods.net/tutorial/NTFSDOS.iso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. Ensure Xbox 360 DVD drive is powered off and SATA cable unplugged
2. Turn on PC with NTFS4DOS in the CD-drive (making sure BIOS is set to boot from CD)
3. Type “Yes” that you will use DOS for private use
4. Navigate (CD..) to the iPrep directory
5. Once in the iPrep directory in DOS, plug SATA cable to the DVD drive (still keeping the drive off)
6. Type: dben 1234567 12345 (12 digit S/N of actual unit you are flashing) and hit Enter
7. It will prompt you to make sure drive is off, then press any key
8. Type: Y and hit Enter to resend MTK
9. Turn on DVD drive, wait 2 seconds (status toggles between 0X51 & 0XD1)
10. Turn off DVD drive, wait 2 seconds
11. Turn on DVD drive and it should begin dumping all 4 banks
12. FirmTool should run to check that the dump was OK (check for “Success” message)
13. Power down DVD drive
14. Power down Computer
15. Boot into Windows
16. Copy original firmware to several places for safety
17. Check Firmware with FirmWare Toolbox to make sure the dump/key is good (should have a string of different letters and numbers…that means it’s a good key. If they are all similar numbers and letters, means bad dump…do it again.)

FLASHING NEW FIRMWARE

1. Ensure the Xbox 360 DVD drive is off, but SATA cable is plugged in
2. Go into DOS same was as before and CD.. to the iPrep directory
3. Type: fben 12343567 12345 (12 digit S/N of actual unit you are flashing) and hit Enter
4. Hit Enter again
5. Type: Y then Enter to resend MTK
6. Turn on DVD drive (status changes between D1 & 51), it erases (takes 2 seconds)
7. Turn off DVD drive for 2 seconds
8. Turn on DVD drive
9. Turn off DVD drive
10. Type: Y and hit Enter to resend MTK again
11. Turn on DVD drive (this time it should flash all 4 banks)
12. Turn off DVD drive
13. Turn off Computer

RESTORING ORIGINAL FIRMWARE
In the event that you need to restore the original Firmware, follow these instructions:
1. Open Firmware Toolbox v4.5 and open you backed up original Firmware.
2. Make sure that your original Firmware is good.
3. Open iPrep 101 v006
4. Create either a boot flash (if using a flash drive), or a Firmware folder if using the bootable CD method. Either way, the following directory will be created (either on your flash drive, or your C drive):

5. In the Backups folder create a folder; name it the first 7 digits of your 360’s serial number. Then inside that folder create another folder and name it the last 5 digits of your serial number
6. In that folder put a copy of your Original Firmware. Make sure the file name is “BENQ-OFW.BIN”
7. Now follow the same steps from “Flashing New Firmware” but instead of typing “fben 1234567 12345”, type “rben (or rsam) 1234567 12345”. All the other steps are the same as “Flashing New Firmware”
Last edited by NeoRio on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 45 times in total.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Flashing The BenQ Drive With iPrep 101 V006

Post by CoFree »

looks good man
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
ndealz
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ndealz »

Thanks a lot, I finally flashed mine. I can give enought thanks, thkanks thanks!

:mrgreen:
NeoRio
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by NeoRio »

Glad it helped! I just added a few introductory words before the tutorial to help people have a better understanding of what they'll potentially need to do the flash.

Regards
charily
Peasant
Peasant

Post by charily »

There is a virus in my pen drive that cannot be deleted,nor the pen drive could be formatted ,what can i do? There is a file in my pen drive namely microsoft corporation that may contain the virus this file when deleted comes back when the system is refreshed. I used AVG antivirus,there is no remedy.
Last edited by charily on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeoRio
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by NeoRio »

Well, I can't tell you exactly how to fix your pen drive (format it/remove the virus)...but I can give you some tips that may help. A lot depends on what kind of pen drive you have. If you have one of those pen drives that comes with pre-installed software (usually on a hidden partition), that might be your problem. Does your pen drive have a little application that opens up each time you plug it into your computer? If so, or if it has anything on it that will not let you delete it, then do a Google search for how to remove the software that came on that particular pen drive. I did this last month, after a bit of Googling I found an application that allowed me to remove the software (that was previously un-deletable) from a pen drive. Once I did it, I couldn't go back to having it on there...but I didn't want it on there anyways as it took nearly half the space on the pen drive.

Hope that helps. Of course what you want to do is format the pen drive, that will remove everything (including viruses) from it. If you are not able to format, then maybe you have some sort of OS or software running on the pen drive that you need to remove first. If you haven't already, try plugging it into another computer and formatting it, sometimes a computer running Vista will see the pen drive differently than a computer running XP, etc. If all else fails, you can do the flash from the bootable CD found in the "programs" area of this site, the latest version which has iXtreme 1.6 is what I used to flash my last 2 360's...the program is called 360 MODIFICATION DISC.

Best Regards

Return to “Xbox360 guides go here”