Lite-On FW 83 Erase failure

Please only 360 guide here
Ivrit007
Bandit
Bandit

Lite-On FW 83 Erase failure

Post by Ivrit007 »

I hope this is ok to place this post here. I figured that this may come in handy for those who may have had this same problem while following ShootSteel's Jungle flasher v1.66b &lite-on v83 Tutorial in the Video Tutorial section.
Mainly as a reminder to people like me that Flash a X360 now and then and may forget some of the basics.
*a reminder to me really ^__^

OK. Followed ShootSteel’s video tutorial, but Failed the Erase but first I would like to pause here and say Thank you for such a clear video, these really help a lot of us who are noobs at this or like me have done just enough to have a good idea what to expect next …basically a seasoned noob ^__^

This is the first Lite-On 83850C I have done. I just bought it about 2 weeks ago from a GameStop in North FL. An Arcade with Jasper. Out of the 9 Xbox360s I have flashed this is the first Lite-On v83850C one.

I had read up real good and found out all about the history about this new revision and those who had been waiting, and waiting for a fix or work around.
Seeing as I already opened the case I was a bit nervous and thought this time I would instead of using iPrep I would JungleFlash it.

I followed ShootSteel’s JungleFlash Tut. With the extra help of the new JungleFlasher v0.1.66 PDF Tutorial (just for comparison)

The problem I came across was in his/your video at the 2min. and 7sec. mark, just as you are about to hit the final OK on the erase option. I click OK to Erase and I get this:

If I where to continue without the video right after the Erase command and Hit Write I would be missing the FlashChip Properties data, like so:Image
At this point I had to stop what I was doing and wonder If I had screwed up bad.
Reading more into that PDF Tutorial I mentioned above I came across this.

“I LiteOn Erased my LiteOn and it failed / Device Intro Failed, now JungleFlasher won’t detect my drive!

Calm down, your drive isn’t bricked! JungleFlasher tries to automate as
much of the process as possible, making it seamless. This time, sadly, it
didn’t work.
All you need to do is manually do the process again, power cycle the Drive,
then send a MTK Intro to the drive. JungleFlasher Will not see the Drive (No Drive Detected) as it is actually,
now erased. make sure you have selected the right port on MTK flash tab. also make sure you have put the lite-on drive in vendor mode. “
That was a bit comforting seeing as I had made 3 complete saves of the original data from the v83 , dummy.bin and all with no errors.
The “All you need to do is manually do the process again” part had me think of what I was missing from ShootSteel’s Video Tutorial. I found the answer in what I had to do in the older Lite-On Drives and such.

The tray had to go back to the half way position to perform the Erase and Write….Duh!
I guess I was thinking because I kept reading of this version of Lite-On FW being flashed differently than the others that I was following the Video Tutorial in context. The half-way tray was not mentioned in the video right before he gives the final Erase command. Common knowledge or not I was following the video exactly.
(Much love ShootSteel, I was just really nervous about doing this one. This was not mine and I would had to eat the $199.00 if I screwed-up.)

So here is what I was lacking:

While the tray was still out from the failed Erase and Write as pictured above I:

1. Powered off my CK3
2. Pushed the tray Half-way in
3. Powered on my CK3

Seeing as I had the correct port in MTK flash tab
At this point you can continue at ShootSteel’s 2min. 7sec mark in his video and hit the Erase button in Jungle Flasher.

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ON THAT LAST 2nd “Are you sure?” when erasing.
All went great see below:Image
Now you can hit the Write button and it will write the banks and then verify it……………
Finish it off by clicking the Outro/ ATA Reset like in the video and this is what you should see……
All done, Power down the CK3 and go test out your flashed Lite-on v83.

Thank you All for your hard work in the coding and for showing us noobs how to work it.

~i007~
Last edited by Ivrit007 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Lite-On FW 83 Erase failure

Post by CoFree »

good stuff man
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
Ivrit007
Bandit
Bandit

Post by Ivrit007 »

I am most glad to help.
You all have helped me so much and if what little I presented can help clear up any facet of this whole procedure for others than I feel that I have given at least a bit back to the community.

Thanx CoFree, I am a fan of your Video Tutorials :D You have been a great help in the past, and yet still are.
I Rip what ever video tutorials I can to make a easy reference Folder on my PC for such cases like the one I had. These will refresh my memory before I Flash my next 360.

~i007~
Ivrit007
Bandit
Bandit

Post by Ivrit007 »

Whoo Hoo!

Just got another brand new Arcade with the same Lite-On DG-16D2S-09C with Firmware version 83850C.

This will be my 2nd one of this Firmware version to mod. Wish me luck guys :D

I will report back with results.
Damn glad I posted my last procedure on the above post :lol:
Shootsteel
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by Shootsteel »

Nice work man...sorry I did not metion this during the tut. Glad you worked it out though.

-SS
Postman
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Postman »

Guys i'm not all new to modding xbox 360's but I did my first Liteon 83850c this morning. I followed all the instruction to the letter(using Jungle Flasher 1.7) and 1.66 TUT. All went well up to the erase part. I did make and save a dummy file and saved the key in a 83850 directory. At the end of the erase part the pc froze for a second and restarted. Now it seems that the drive is bricked, wont open or close and the pc freezes when I power the drive. This is a brand new box and what do I do to revive this drive.
Thanks

Return to “Xbox360 guides go here”