GAMETIME: Brutal Legend

Member submitted game Review for the 360.
Forum rules
Do not post just what you think about a game.This is for a detailed review of a 360 game.
Make no mistake, this is for the "TRUTH ABOUT A GAME FROM YOUR POINT OF VIEW"
The staff and I will not allow any flaming at all,but fill free to post up
if you agree or dis-agree
Also fill free to post up a game review your self. ;)
CoFree
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

By Cody Webb
Music has inspired all sorts of rhythm games, like the top-tier Guitar Hero and Rock Band games, but very rarely do they inspire an adventure game world to be built around them. Tim Schafer, one of the quirkier people in the gaming business, and his team at Double Fine have crafted a world built just for fans of metal music. They call this metalhead world: “Brutal Legend.” As with most of the games I talk about here, Brutal Legend is rated M for Mature due to blood, gore and excessive cursing. Basically, everything you’d expect from a game inspired by heavy metal. It’s worth mentioning that the game does give you the option to censor the bad language and turn off the gore. However, in my opinion the game loses much of its intended atmosphere this way. Either way, be careful when your kid asks for this title. Brutal Legend tells the story of Eddie Riggs, the “world’s best roadie.” He’s known for being able to build anything, fix anything and get anything. The game starts with him watching the last “heavy metal” band, whom he works for, playing a song that in no way could be considered metal. However, when one of the bandmates attempts to do a stupid stunt, Eddie gets injured while trying to rescue him. When some of his blood happens to drip onto his belt buckle, he gets transported to the “Age of Metal.”

This “Age of Metal” is definitely one of the high points of the game: it is a world composed of mountains made from skulls, half-metal animals and all sorts of metal icons littering the landscape. It’s not hard to lose yourself in this world, spending hours finding the many metal landmarks to net yourself extra fan tributes to buy upgrades with. It doesn’t hurt that the amazing artists at Double Fine did a stellar job of crafting a unique art style for this equally unique world. What good would such a unique world be without interesting characters and awesome music to fill it? Fortunately for gamers, that question will have to be answered another day. Eddie Riggs is easily one of more likable protagonists of 2009, and Double Fine couldn’t have found a better voice actor for him than Jack Black. Other famous folk appear as friend and foe to Eddie, such as The Guardian of Metal, who is the one and only Ozzy Osbourne! Tim Curry does a fantastic job of voicing Emperor Doviculus, the antagonist of the game.

As for music, it’s clear that the developers went through album after album to find the best of the best metal. From Black Sabbath to Judas Priest, the music in Brutal Legend spans several years of metal masterpieces. One of the best experiences I had while playing was when I was just cruising around in the car whilst listening to the various songs. Unfortunately, however, the gameplay itself isn’t as perfect as the world you run around in. Combat is simple, one button controls Eddie’s axe for melee attacks and another controls his guitar for ranged attacks. You can bring up a solo menu and play a solo to gain a step up on your enemies or to wipe them out with one awesome rockin’ solo. These controls work well for an action game, but Brutal Legend also combines in “Stage Battles,” which are large-scale RTS-style sequences. The goal of these is to gather fans as resources to build a massive army, then to destroy your enemy’s stage with said army. These moments are fun, but it can be hard to control and manage units effectively. In the end, however, these issues are small compared to the hilarious, and even serious, storyline, the interesting characters and the massive world just filled with secrets and unlockables. If you consider yourself a fan of the metal genre of music, and own a PS3 or 360, you should look into Brutal Legend. I’ll give it a B+.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
trailz
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: GAMETIME: Brutal Legend

Post by trailz »

Oh man, this was the most amazing game I've played in a long time! Simplistic game style aside, the world, the music, and the characters are amazing! There's a lot of humor in it too if you pay attention. Very fun to play! On the highest difficulty, you do have to put a bit more thought into how you use combos, how you upgrade your axe and guitar, and how you play the stage battles.

The side missions could use a little more variety, and there should definately be something to do after the main story. You can't find the last Bound Serpent until you finish the game. What's up with that?

4.5/5
But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
you just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake.

Return to “360 Game Reviews”