GAMETIME: Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

Member submitted game Review for the 360.
Forum rules
Do not post just what you think about a game.This is for a detailed review of a 360 game.
Make no mistake, this is for the "TRUTH ABOUT A GAME FROM YOUR POINT OF VIEW"
The staff and I will not allow any flaming at all,but fill free to post up
if you agree or dis-agree
Also fill free to post up a game review your self. ;)
CoFree
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

By Cody Webb
Well, folks, the gaming flood that we experienced last year has turned into an unfortunate gaming drought. This year is promising some very good titles, like Resident Evil 5 and F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, but those aren’t going to be out for a couple of months at the least. So you’ve beaten all of those amazing games that came out and you’re bored with their online multiplayer, but what should you do? Well, I turned my sights towards the Xbox Live Arcade and found Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2!

Most teenagers will recognize Geometry Wars when they see it, because of all of the shareware ports of it that you can find online. None of them are as good as the official Bizarre Creations game, though! It’s rated E for Everybody and features arcade-shooting fun. You can get ahold of it if you have an Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, it’s only 800 Microsoft points, which is the average price for XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) titles. For those of you who don’t know how much “800 Microsoft points” comes out to, it’s around eight dollars.

As in the first Geometry Wars, the game puts you in control of a little spaceship and sends wave after wave of colorful shapes after you. Each shape has a different attack pattern and speed, so you have to always be on your toes. However, unlike the first game, number two features several gameplay modes that you unlock by playing the one before it.

These modes feature different styles of playing, each mode unique and offering hours of fun. Like the Pacifism mode, which takes away your guns and makes you have to fly through “gates” to destroy the many enemies that will fly after you. Or King, where you can only shoot if you’re inside one of the “safe zones”. Best of all, any of these modes can be played co-operatively with up to three friends, or competitively with three friends! As with any other XBLA title, you can take it online and show off your highest score to everyone else, and try to reach the top of the leaderboards.

The sounds are just what you’d expect from an arcade game, decent and fitting to the action. The music consists of techno beats that go great with what’s happening, getting faster the harder the game gets. Each mode even gets its own song, but at six modes, there’s not much of a soundtrack. I recommend hooking your music player up to your Xbox and letting that music play while you game.

To sum it up: Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 features solid gameplay, decent sounds and music, and very colorful graphics, plus it’s cheap! I give it an A, and it should help tide most gamers over until the bigger games start to come out. Definitely give it a try if you’ve got Xbox Live!
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.

Return to “360 Game Reviews”