GAMETIME: Saints Row 2

Member submitted game Review for the 360.
Forum rules
Do not post just what you think about a game.This is for a detailed review of a 360 game.
Make no mistake, this is for the "TRUTH ABOUT A GAME FROM YOUR POINT OF VIEW"
The staff and I will not allow any flaming at all,but fill free to post up
if you agree or dis-agree
Also fill free to post up a game review your self. ;)
CoFree
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

By Cody Webb
Back in 2006, gamers were impatiently awaiting the arrival of Grand Theft Auto IV. A game developer named Volition released Saints Row, a next-gen open-world game much like the Grand Theft Auto series. Sandbox fans everywhere were appeased as they played it, and the game quickly became popular. Last year, the sequel to Saints Row was finally released and I recently got my hands on it. As with most of the games I write about, this game is rated Mature for violence, blood, and strong language and should definitely be kept away from kids.

First and foremost, if you’re looking for a realistic gaming experience, steer clear of Saints Row 2. This game takes physics and exaggerates them to extremes, resulting in a ridiculously fun and gonzo good time. It won’t take you long to be blowing everything in sight up or sending people flying fifty feet into the air. But if you can tolerate the completely ridiculous gameplay, then you’ll find yourself hooked in no time.

Saints Row 2 begins much like the first game, where you start off by creating your own custom character. Then you go through a tutorial, that is cleverly disguised as a prison break, which teaches you the controls and then after that, you’re free to do as you please. The character creator is much deeper than it was in the first game, even giving players the option of playing as a woman if they so choose. Customization options abound in SR2, from the ability to customize cars you acquire (seen in the first game, but even deeper now) to the new options of picking your gang’s style and cars. There’s also many clothing styles that are available for purchase within the game.

The activities make a return from the first game, most of them having been tweaked to be more balanced and entertaining. There are even new activities for players to do to get respect and cash, or to do just for the fun of doing them. A lot of the activities tap into the humor that fills this game, but a few can get a bit too dirty, such as the Septic Avenger activity. As before, you have to gain respect before you’re able to do the storyline missions, but the activities are fun and varied enough to keep this from getting boring. The story missions have also been reworked, and are now feature some impressive and hilarious settings, such as a sword fight and a rampage through a museum of technology.

The music tracks and radio stations return, although without the mp3 player from the original game. The songs that were chosen are fantastic, featuring many popular titles and a few somewhat unknown songs. Your character can even sing along to the radio if you listen to it long enough; my own character sang along to Take On Me by A-Ha. It’s not a big gameplay detail, but it’s the small things that matter, right?

Players expecting the graphical beauty of GTA IV will be severely disappointed. This game isn’t bad-looking by any means, it’s just not as detailed as most of the other current-gen titles we’re seeing lately. It looks much better than the first game, however, featuring more detailed and textured character models than before. Many of the cars have also been remodeled to look more sleek.

Saints Row 2 may not be as realistic or as good-looking as Grand Theft Auto was, but it’s certainly not a bad game and anyone who enjoyed the first game will have a blast in this one. From the updated graphics, songs, characters and even the addition of boats and helicopters, it builds upon the original’s foundation in all of the right ways. Expect to spend a ton of hours in Stilwater, doing activities, building your gang or just blowing things up for fun. I give Saints Row 2 a B and I hope there will be another!
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.

Return to “360 Game Reviews”