GAMETIME - Red Faction: Guerrilla

Member submitted game Review for the 360.
Forum rules
Do not post just what you think about a game.This is for a detailed review of a 360 game.
Make no mistake, this is for the "TRUTH ABOUT A GAME FROM YOUR POINT OF VIEW"
The staff and I will not allow any flaming at all,but fill free to post up
if you agree or dis-agree
Also fill free to post up a game review your self. ;)
CoFree
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

By Cody Webb
Does anyone remember the original Red Faction? It debuted awhile back on the Playstation 2, and promised to make environments fully destructible. Due to the technical limitations of the PS2, all it could do was allow players to be able to tunnel through the ground and a few walls. That alone was pretty amazing for its time, and it promptly put Red Faction on the radar of many gamers. Sadly, the sequel took a radical turn from the uprising theme that the first game had established, which turned a lot of players away from the series.

Fortunately, the Red Faction series seems to be back on track with the release of the third entry: Red Faction: Guerrilla. Red Faction has been developed by Volition, the folks behind Saints Row, and the newest entry is available on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. It’s rated M, because of violence and language.

The story starts off innocently enough, player character Alec Mason traveled to Mars to get away from life on Earth and find new beginnings. His new life is quickly derailed by a tragic turn of events, forcing him to join up with the Red Faction and help them take back Mars from the grips of the Earth Defense Force. Unfortunately, this is where the narrative stops trying to get your attention and it slides back as the game’s true objective takes the spotlight: destruction.

Guerrilla delivers destruction in spades; just when you think you’re out of ways to blow things up, the game gives you a new weapon to play with! You start with simple gadgets: remote charges and a sledgehammer. It won’t take you long to evolve into ramming cars through buildings, or knocking out supports in order to cause the building to collapse on top of your foes. Every building you see in this game can be destroyed. That’s not me exaggerating, either, I mean every single building in the game. The level of destruction this game can provide is beyond anything we’ve ever seen before. In my opinion, Volition deserves an award for creating the technology that makes this all possible.

While the story fails in putting itself in the forefront, it does manage to convey the sense of actually overthrowing an empire. You’ll find yourself going out of your way just to destroy EDF-owned buildings in order to lower their influence in the sectors that make up Mars. Most of the side missions center around the theme of destroying things, which isn’t a bad thing, but it can get a bit stale after a while. Still, you’ll find yourself stopping to watch buildings crumble after you’re done with them.

Luckily, the rest of the gameplay doesn’t falter because of the focus on destruction. The gunplay is solid and precise, while vehicles are easy to drive. You’ll feel invincible if you manage to find a Walker, which are large, two-legged mechs that are capable of simply walking through buildings. Not so luckily, the environments you’ll be traveling through are sparse and open. It’s debatable whether this is a bad thing, though, since I’d imagine Mars wouldn’t be a very lush planet even with terraforming.

Guerrilla doesn’t stop once you finish the single-player campaign; there’s more destruction to be had in the Wrecking Crew and multiplayer modes. Wrecking Crew is a pass-the-controller game mode where players compete to see who can do the most damage in a variety of modes. If you somehow get bored with Wrecking Crew and the campaign, there’s multiplayer with stat-tracking! Deathmatch has never been more exciting; hiding in a building becomes a gamble when you know it can be brought down upon your head. Plus players can level up through 125 ranks, much like Call of Duty 4.

So if you love causing destruction, or maybe just like watching buildings go tumbling down, pick up Red Faction: Guerrilla and give it a shot! I’ll give it an A, and I’ll give you a friendly warning: be careful when taking down a building. If you’re trapped inside when it comes down, you will regret it!
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Re: GAMETIME - Red Faction: Guerrilla

Post by commando_lee »

i have just completed the single player mode, just playing online now to get the rest off the achievements

i would give this game 9/10 abosolute brilliant
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

hmmm
good post
i may have to give this game a try
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Post by commando_lee »

i mentiond this game to you before. its brilliant, there are alot of things to do, i would advise any 1 who plays it do all the smaller tasks first and dont just go straight for the EDF missions like i did, so when i completed the single story mode it went back onto free play which the smaller missions which you dont have to do came back up and were alot harder to do.
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Its a very fun game! The one thing I wished you could do is blow up the scenery, not just buildings. Dont get me wrong buildings are incredibly fun to blow up but I loved this game SOOO much on ps3 because I would tunnel my way into walls, and make a sniper spot ;)

I always wondered what wrecking crew was :P I may have to check it out ;)

Return to “360 Game Reviews”