Call Of Duty subscription coming from Activision this spring

All console Gaming News will be here.
tonyuk73
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Call Of Duty subscription coming from Activision this spring

Post by tonyuk73 »

By Tom Phillips.

Activision could be poised to introduce a subscription version of Call Of Duty within the next few months, according to one analyst firm.

Industry analysts Wedbush Securities are the latest to predict that paid-for online content is incoming for the massively popular franchise.

In their January 2011 newsletter, Wedbush say that 'Activision remains a top pick, primarily due to the company's potential to create and monetize a second tier of multiplayer online gaming for its Call of Duty franchise

While that's a development which has been expected for some time, they then go out on a limb and put a date on it, saying: 'We expect this to occur during the first quarter of 2011.'

It's unlikely that Activision will try to introduce a subscription for the current Call Of Duty online multiplayer offering (something they've flatly denied they would do in the past) - instead, it's seems more likely that they will opt for a 'premium' version, with added extras available for those who stump up a bit more cash.

Of course, the expectation that Activision will introduce a subscription model for CoD has been swirling for ages, so these reports are always worth taking with a pinch of salt - and the time frame does seem remarkably tight, given that the already-announced map packs won't even be out on all formats by then.

But Activision head Bobby Kotick has made no secret of his desire to emulate the success of games from Activision/Blizzard's own World of Warcraft to Valve's Team Fortress 2 in offering subscription models and in-game purchases - so it'll be worth keeping an eye on Activision to see if anything comes of this latest rumour.
twi5t3d
Bandit
Bandit

Re: Call Of Duty subscription coming from Activision this spring

Post by twi5t3d »

thats when i stop playing :twisted:
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Thats when LOADS of people are going to stop playing.

I bet they'll just do the same crap everyone does, offer some extra guns camo player models etc if you buy some 'bonus' dlc. If it turned into a wow type thing where you need to pay a monthly fee they'd loose so many players.
twi5t3d
Bandit
Bandit

Post by twi5t3d »

jus curious hagg how much is it for wow a month :twisted:
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

15.00 us
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
cyantific
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by cyantific »

Not meaning to get off topic but I can't believe people have the time to play WoW. With the kind of hours I work I couldn't even imagine dedicating myself to a computer game lol

Dunno last time I even turned on my xbox :\
RHPG, home away from home :)
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

cyantific wrote:Not meaning to get off topic but I can't believe people have the time to play WoW. With the kind of hours I work I couldn't even imagine dedicating myself to a computer game lol

Dunno last time I even turned on my xbox :\
Yea it amazes me... I played Aion during the beta and after bought it, then played for a couple months after it released. I had no school or work at the time, and played a few hours a day. A buddy of mine played as well but I believe he had classes to go to.

Anyhow I was always a few levels higher than him, but we were in a clan/guild, most of the members were around 30 years old, and had kids, they also worked full time. Somehow they were able to play more, and get to higher levels then me or my buddy. Just doesnt make sense. :?
he-man
Merry Men
Merry Men

Post by he-man »

Let me get this right... Activision want you to pay to play a game (you already own) via Xbox Live that you already pay a yearly subscribtion for? Add to that all the modding and glitching and that's how they "repay" you for supporting them!

Return to “Gaming News”