The Ultimate Guide To Pandora's Battery

karothacker
Peasant
Peasant

The Ultimate Guide To Pandora's Battery

Post by karothacker »

Introduction:

You Know You Missed Me!

Anyways I got bored, and decided to make another Guide/Tutorial. The reason why I chose Pandora's Battery is because I get so many people asking me how to do this and how to do that, and the answer is almost always "Pandora's Battery"

In this Guide I'll give you information on the Pandora's Battery, I'll show you how to Softmod & Hardmod your Battery to convert it into a JigKick Battery, and I'll also give you a list of the best PSP & PC Applications to make a Magic Memory Stick.

NOTE: This is my guide! Just because I quote it does not mean it is not my Guide. If you would like to post this at your web-site please ask me via PM first!

Information:
Pandora's Battery
On August 22 2007, Team C+D released the "Pandora's Battery" which was the Prometheus Project everyone was waiting for. It converted a spare Memory Stick Pro Duo and battery into a "Magic Memory Stick" and "JigKick Battery". Some people mistake Pandora's Battery for the JigKick Battery, but Pandora's Battery is both the Magic Memory Stick and the JigKick Battery. The Memory Stick and battery can then be used to downgrade any PSP of any version or to recover from a brick. A battery can be converted to JigKick via hardware or software methods (see below). To convert the Memory Stick, a PSP with custom firmware or a PC (with Memory Stick reader, or PSP connected via USB) can be used in conjunction with a Pandora's Battery program, such as The Ultimate Pandora's Tool v4 PC Installer, or Pandora Easy GUI. After the downgrade/unbrick service has been completed, the Memory Stick and battery can be restored for normal usage.

JigKick Battery
This is a battery with its serial changed to 0xFFFFFFFF. When a PSP battery serial number is changed to 0xFFFFFFFF, or unreadable, the PSP boots the IPL from sector 16 on the physical drive (The Magic Memory Stick). This unlocks the service mode of the PSP and launches the IPL from the Memory Stick (instead of from flash0). A regular battery can be made into a JigKick via hardware or software methods. A JigKick battery can be Hard-modded by opening it up and either cutting a wire or lifting/removing a pin, this can be done to most Sony batteries. Also, a JigKick battery can be made with just software (Soft-mod) by using a program on a PSP with custom firmware. Or you can use a special pre-made Jigkick battery such as Datel's.Battery Service Tool. Some batteries cannot be soft-modded by the PSP, and the newest PSP models (God of War edition and newer) cannot mod batteries in software. The Battery Service Tool, however, can be used on any Sony battery.

Magic Memory Stick
A Magic Memory Stick refers to any memory stick that has been converted to boot and work with a JigKick Battery. Depending on the method of creation, a Magic Memory Stick can either downgrade or upgrade PSPs to 1.50 FW (Phat ONLY), upgrade any PSP to 3.71/3.80/3.90/4.01 M33, and their counterparts, or be able to launch suitable homebrew. The Memory Sticks can be made into Magic Memory Sticks only if they are Pro Duo, and less than or equal to 4 GB.

PSP Slim
The new release of the PSP Slim was long-awaited, but brought bad news to people in the homebrew community. First, a normal Pandora's Battery could not be used to downgrade the PSP Slim to 1.5 so you couldn't install CFW. The lowest firmware downgrade was 3.6x on the Slim. Secondly, there is no 1.5x kernel on the PSP Slim, only 3.xx and 4.xx. This means when inserting a normal Pandora's Battery in a PSP Slim would give you a blank screen, and the PSP auto powering off after about 10 seconds. To solve this, Dark Alex made a program known as Despertar del Cementerio, which creates a Pandora's battery, but downgrades to cfw and includes the 1.5x and 3.xx kernels, so instructions could be seen on the Slim. This works for all PSPs (Except the new TA-088v3 Slim PSP) and can be downloaded at Dark-Alex's Official Website.

Information Borrowed From The PSPWiki

How To Softmod Your Battery:
In this Tutorial I'll show you how to softmod your Battery to convert it into a Pandora's Battery.

NOTE:
A PSP Slim With A TA-088 Motherboard May NOT Be Able To Softmod PSP Batteries

For All CFW PSP Models:

1. Download The Ultimate Pandora's Tool v5

2. Unzip it, and place the folder named UPTv5 into ms0:/PSP/GAME on the Memory Stick

3. Turn on your PSP, and launch UPTv5 from the Game/Memory Stick Category in the XMB
Recommended Option: You can update your UPT install by going to "Stage 4: Utilities", pressing Right on the D-Pad, and selecting "Check for UPT Update"

4. Go to "Stage 1: IPL" and install the TM-IPL
NOTE: If it give you a message about a Fake Memory Stick, and you don't know if you have a Fake Memory Stick then just press "OK"

5. Go to "Stage 2: Battery" and it will automatically back-up your Battery's Serial to ms0:/battery on the Memory Stick

6. Choose the Option "Create Service Battery" and after it is done you turn off your PSP, take out the battery, and then put it back in.
NOTE: To change back to normal you pick the "Restore Serial from (ms0:/Battery/eeprom.bin)"

Recommended Option:
If you would like to install UPTv5 then Download the Needed SCE Eboots (Can be found in "Stage 4:Utilities" on second page), and then continue to "Stage 3: Firmware" [/QUOTE]

How To Hardmod Your Battery:
In this Tutorial I'll show you how to hardmod your Battery to convert it into a Pandora's Battery.

For PSP Slim Battery:

1. Open the extra battery with a knife or a screwdriver.

2. Remove the top of the battery

3. Remove the leg (leg is in a green circle in picture) of the chip above to the word IC04.

For PSP Phat Battery:

1. Open the extra battery with a knife or a screwdriver.

2. Remove the top of the battery

3. Remove the leg of the chip next to the word C04. You can always iron the leg back on if you want.

Tutorial Borrowed From The PSPWiki

PSP & PC Pandora Applications List:
Here is a list of the best Pandora Installer Applications for both the PSP & PC. These will help you make a "Magic Memory Stick"
NOTE:
Only a few are listed.....will add more later

PSP Pandora Installers:

1. The Ultimate Pandora's Tool v5
Download Here/Tutorial Here/Release Thread Here

2. Pandora Installer For 3.xx kernels
Download Here/Release Thread Here

PC Pandora Installers:

1. The Ultimate Pandora's Tool v4 PC Installer [Version 5 Coming Soon!]
Download Here/Help Thread Here

2. PSP Pandora Deluxe v2.0
Download Here/Release Thread Here