Cydia to become full-on competitor to Appstore

Talk about anything related to iphones or ipod touch
Forum rules
Do not link to iphone/ipod touch restoration files unless its an official Apple link. No hacked firmwares allowed so DO NOT ASK FOR THEM OR POST LINKS TO THEM.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Cydia to become full-on competitor to Appstore

Post by BobSeager »

This will ruffle feathers with those legal types

Extract-

Looks like the jailbroken iPhone app scene is about to get seriously interesting -- not only is Cydia is going from package repository to full-fledged app store, a new jailbreaking service called Rock Your Phone is set to launch, and there's a planned adults-only app store. Details are light on the others, but the Cydia Store will offer developers a distribution alternative to Apple's official App Store unencumbered by that pesky SDK agreement and approval process -- are you ready for commercial fart apps with direct hardware access? Of course, users will have to jailbreak their phones for the Cydia Store or any of its wares to run, and that's slightly controversial at the moment, given Apple's opposition to the EFF's proposal to exempt jailbreaking from the DMCA. It's up in the air how the legal situation will play out, but honestly, we can't say we're surprised that devs locked out of Apple's store are finding ways to compete -- the iPhone app market is entirely too lucrative to ignore. We'll see how Apple responds when the Cydia Store and these others go live; we can't help but feel the winning move would be to relax the SDK restrictions and get all these devs playing on the same team.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Cydia to become full-on competitor to Appstore

Post by CoFree »

yea
make the app available
if you want it get it
if you dont
you dont have to.

damn let me make up my own mind.
i just wish "att" had a better network around me.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

I smell a court case.

I bet a bunch of the dev's will go through this app instead of the app store, thus losing money for apple, which will upset them, and make them want to closure of this. At the very least, apple will implement some repercussions for this...
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

No Questions by PM.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

I agree, eff Apple. Their iron-fist approach is lame. The more I think about the possibilities involved with this announcement, I get a bit concerned that the utility apps may go commercial :? Either way it's exciting news, there are some amazing developers out there.

Here's a pic of the new interface

Some basic info about the new Cydia-
* Saurik is looking into doing direct credit card processing in the future.
* The purchase is tied to your Cydia account. If you get a new iPhone your purchase will still be valid. ---Nice :)
* Saurik does not plan on charging for applications like Cyntact in the future.
* Cyntact does not have any DRM. Saurik is working with current commercial applications to handle whatever DRM they may have.
* If you've had a failed payment (such as, a credit card decline) you will need to be patient since Saurik has not coded in support for that yet.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

looks good
No Questions by PM.
Gisborne
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Gisborne »

The only downside to Cydia is that it leaves your iPhone open to anything, as their are no checks done on whats released.
I know most developers dont want to hurt you, but some may.

A fine example of some malicious code would be a App that you find useful, but in the background it's reading all your contacts details and sending them away to anyone.
Also with Cydia apps they run with root access so they can delete or alter anyfile on your system without and security prompts.

I use Cydia myself and am not suggesting you dont use it, Just take in care what you get.
Apps from the main repo's should all be safe.
When the bad gets good...

aVByZXAgdjAxMCBpcyBpbiBkZXZlbG9wbWVudA==
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Gisborne wrote:The only downside to Cydia is that it leaves your iPhone open to anything, as their are no checks done on whats released.
I know most developers dont want to hurt you, but some may.

A fine example of some malicious code would be a App that you find useful, but in the background it's reading all your contacts details and sending them away to anyone.
Also with Cydia apps they run with root access so they can delete or alter anyfile on your system without and security prompts.

I use Cydia myself and am not suggesting you dont use it, Just take in care what you get.
Apps from the main repo's should all be safe.
Yea, it all depends on the repo's

I hope if the cydia store opens, they check apps before they are available to download. (Not apple checks, but check to make sure its not mallicious)

Return to “General Discussion”