Palm Pre

Talk about anything related to iphones or ipod touch
Forum rules
Do not link to iphone/ipod touch restoration files unless its an official Apple link. No hacked firmwares allowed so DO NOT ASK FOR THEM OR POST LINKS TO THEM.
gatorlee
Bandit
Bandit

Palm Pre

Post by gatorlee »

Anyone around here interested in making a Pre forum along with the IPOD forum. I recently got one and so far it is pretty F***in cool. I had 12 programs running and it didn't slow down one bit. Only problem very few apps and I can't erase preloaded software yet.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Palm Pre

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

IMO best thing to do would be to create a new forum (or subforum or whatever you call it) for all mobiles.

I doubt if there is enough support for any 1 type/brand of phone. I and a few others use HTC products (windows mobile 6.x) and I think theres a couple using pre's

What OS does the pre run? I cant remember, think I read something about it being a custom os...
gatorlee
Bandit
Bandit

Post by gatorlee »

its palms new os called webOS its a linux based ultra lite OS. Its pretty cool plus I respect anyone that using linux, there is just not that many apps out currently for it and i believe apple apps aren't even close to compatible.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

Sweet man, I want to see a pre

I thought about seeing if anyone wanted to expand the iphone forum into a general cell phone discussion but I don't know that the other devices (pre included thus far) have that many exploits available. The most useful thing I could think of is a forum with information regarding unlocking devices.

Wait and see if Cofree or Sadalius see this and have any input.
gatorlee
Bandit
Bandit

Post by gatorlee »

Yeah the pre is supposedly open source running on a linux platform so it shouldn't be long before someone does something. I gotta say though it is a super cool phone even in its infant stages, and i expect this to be a huge draw for a lot of programmers and anyone else that thinks Jobs can go F%*k himself along with apple. Problem is like you said for all the people that own a device very few will actually research the time to make their device truly their own instead of a marketing snitch device.
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

Hey I'm all about having a general Cell device forum. Because I know on the HTC with Windows mobile there are a ton of apps and cool hacks out there. I mean we've been messing with the iPhone for ages and now with the Palm Pre I'm positive that there will be an even greater reason to invest time into hacking these devices.
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

Speak of the devil...

Palm’s webOS ROM has only been in the wild for a matter of hours, and already the first homebrew apps are showing up. A developer going by scm6079 has put together a test app that displays a simple “Hello World!” message and runs a five-second timer; meanwhile others are trying to disable the Pre’s otherwise unassailable camera shutter sound. Meanwhile, there’s also talk of a third device codename (after “castle”, the Pre, and “pixie”, the Eos), as the ROM apparently contains reference to “zepfloyd”.

The “Hello World!” app overwrote the pre-installed Sprint NASCAR app, which shouldn’t come as too much of a disappointment to most users. Many of the team currently working on the webOS root image are apparently ex-PalmOS hackers, for whom Palm still seems to have some of its allure.

Now would seem like a great time for Palm to turn around and say “okay people, here’s some official SDK access and support - help us make this a brilliant platform.” It took months for Apple to harness third-party developer support with an official SDK and the App Store; Palm are halfway there, with on-device distribution already supported, now they just have to bite the bullet and trust their baby’s underlying code to developers wanting to adopt webOS.
gatorlee
Bandit
Bandit

Post by gatorlee »

Bobseager wrote:Now would seem like a great time for Palm to turn around and say “okay people, here’s some official SDK access and support - help us make this a brilliant platform.” It took months for Apple to harness third-party developer support with an official SDK and the App Store; Palm are halfway there, with on-device distribution already supported, now they just have to bite the bullet and trust their baby’s underlying code to developers wanting to adopt webOS.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Return to “General Discussion”