MCleaner

Topics that are specific to iphones go hear.
Forum rules
Do not link to iphone/ipod touch restoration files unless its an official Apple link. No hacked firmwares allowed so DO NOT ASK FOR THEM.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

MCleaner

Post by BobSeager »

I briefly touched on what MCleaner is in a post in the 'Favorite Apps' thread, but I thought I'd share some of the finer nuances regarding how it works. Currently I'm running 1.6.3 which sells for $11.99 on Mcleaner's website and offers unlimited upgrades (such as when you lose your jailbreak and need to reinstall it).

I still have a prepaid iPhone that I am using. As such, when I get an SMS message, solicited or otherwise, I get charged the going rate (15 cents or so). Well, I noticed that the iPhone's built in 'Preview SMS' function allows you to view the first few lines of an incoming SMS without viewing the whole thing. Drawback is, you get charged for reading the message anyway, whether it's spam or not. I do not, however, get charged for incoming SMS when I set MCleaner to universally block SMS and view any messages caught by the MCleaner filter in MCleaner's browser.

I will get charged if I send a reply to one of these 'netted' SMS messages, because to reply, MCleaner routes you through the iPhone's native SMS app. It is however, nice to not incur charges from messages I didn't ask for/don't want (and can still read if I so choose).

There are a lot of features, but mostly I stick to a simple blacklist to prevent people from calling me. If you really want to shine them, you can set MCleaner to auto hang-up on callers and then reply with an SMS saying 'Service has been disconnected,' so forth so that you likely will not hear from them again. This mostly all came about because of a (I've come to conclude) disturbed ex-girlfriend.

In any case, it's a fantastic application, and works great for people going the prepaid route because at least with T-Mobile, they do not offer call/SMS filtering without a contract-based subscription.

I'll post more info about MCleaner as I discover it.

Return to “iphone specific”