iPhone 3.0

Topics that are specific to iphones go hear.
Forum rules
Do not link to iphone/ipod touch restoration files unless its an official Apple link. No hacked firmwares allowed so DO NOT ASK FOR THEM.
Gisborne
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: iPhone 3.0

Post by Gisborne »

I need to stick with 2.2.1 for now.
From what I've read though, their is not enough of a change from Beta 3 to really warrant an update anyhow.
When the bad gets good...

aVByZXAgdjAxMCBpcyBpbiBkZXZlbG9wbWVudA==
iamwatt
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by iamwatt »

something i didn't know until i got a few e-mails this morning; if you update to the 3.0 beta software, it's in you're best interest to update it whenever they release an update because the software expires. . .

people woke up this morning to their phone saying connect to iTunes. . . and even if they do that it wouldn't work unless they have the pre-release of iTunes 8.2. theres a 3.0 beta 5 out right now just for FYI
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

iamwatt wrote:something i didn't know until i got a few e-mails this morning; if you update to the 3.0 beta software, it's in you're best interest to update it whenever they release an update because the software expires. . .

people woke up this morning to their phone saying connect to iTunes. . . and even if they do that it wouldn't work unless they have the pre-release of iTunes 8.2. theres a 3.0 beta 5 out right now just for FYI
Theres loads of underground forums that are currently dedicated to 'hacking' the beta FW's so you are not forced to update and various tinkers...

Thats the main reason I dont do the betas. 1) I dont like having to resync 2) I would be pissed if I was forced to update or not use my iPod.
iamwatt
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by iamwatt »

updates don't bother me, and it's no different with the 360 flashing. . . times when you may have to update or stay of xbox live. . .

just a heads up though for those of us who have the 3.0 software. . .

this is the only forum im on so i don't know bout others. . .
Gisborne
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Gisborne »

No point going to Beta 5, from the sounds of it Beta 6 will be out next week.

That is unless your an official developer, then Beta 5 is a must as now Apple wont accept Apps developed using a 2.x SDK.
When the bad gets good...

aVByZXAgdjAxMCBpcyBpbiBkZXZlbG9wbWVudA==
sccrbrandon4788
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by sccrbrandon4788 »

Isn't this supposed to be out by now? IS there an official release date??
iamwatt
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by iamwatt »

sccrbrandon4788 wrote:Isn't this supposed to be out by now? IS there an official release date??
they said it would be released in the "summer" whatever that means. . . not sure about a release date though.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

The WWDC is June 8th, at which they will likely announce a date or release the software.

There's also a good chance there will at least be mention of a new model or some major revision. Rumors are that a new model may include an OLED screen. This would make sense since these screens draw less power and battery life is the biggest complaint I hear about.
sccrbrandon4788

I can't wait for this damn release! I hate how it takes forever to load a freakin text. Is there a way to clear the cache or something to speed it up until 3.0 comes out?
sccrbrandon4788

@BobSeager: How can I do this Beta 5 update? I'm kinda sick of my phone running slow from the Jailbreak and figured if I'm going to restore it, I might as well get the 3.0 beta since the official release isn't out until the 17th.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

I never played with the Beta releases much. As far as installing it goes, I don't think you can anymore. The Beta releases all had a expiration timeframe and I think Beta 5 (the last of them) went out like a month ago.

Whenever the Betas would expire, they would demand you update and when 5 expired, that was it.

If you still want to try, to install it you have to use the old hold-shift restore option in iTunes to select an ipsw of your own instead of direct-restoring with apple's update. This feature doesn't work anymore as of two releases ago.
iamwatt
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by iamwatt »

this is actually the new firmware that they released on the 8th :: iPhone OS 3.0 GM Seed Build: 7A341

just put it on my phone today. they say it's just a pre-release. i checked it out and nothings different from the beta 5.
sccrbrandon4788

Can you send the file to me? I don't understand all the beta stuff, having to be a developer and all. Do I need a specific version of iTunes? Do I need to get all this from the "usual" places?
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

iPhone OS 3.0 GM Seed Build: 7A341
hmmm dunno anything bout that :?

The beta releases were official releases so they are publicly available but I think theres a developer charge associated with activation. Sorry man like I said I never played with them too much, I couldn't handle the idea of a beta release of an at-the-time unstable OS.
sccrbrandon4788

i just want the official release. 6 more days!!!

Return to “iphone specific”