Visitor wants HELP to buy & unlock iphone

Topics that are specific to iphones go hear.
Forum rules
Do not link to iphone/ipod touch restoration files unless its an official Apple link. No hacked firmwares allowed so DO NOT ASK FOR THEM.
NUG
Peasant
Peasant

Visitor wants HELP to buy & unlock iphone

Post by NUG »

As an overseas visitor i see the iphone now only $99.
Not knowing diddly about iphones can i buy a phone and unlock it and take it home overseas.
Do i need a specific (AT&T) SIM card here in the US (to access Cydia and download applications) to unlock it before i insert my SIM from home when back home?
What would be the process of events to unlock it? Would i need to buy anything else?

Thanks

NUG
New Useless Guy
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Visitor wants HELP to buy & unlock iphone

Post by BobSeager »

What's up man. It's $99 if you buy the 3g on contract. If you are already an at&t customer you can get one contract free for $499.

Problem is, there's no software unlock yet for the iPhone you will get right now if you go and buy a new one.

You can look into TurboSim unlocks for the iPhone, they are sim card adapter trays (~$30) that any sim card fits in and it promises to unlock the iPhone. I've heard they work fine, but I can't help you much with them other than that.

You don't need any specific SIM other than when you unlock the phone, you need the at&t sim in the tray. The phone will come with a sim in the slot so just throw it somewhere safe for when you need to unlock and hang on it it. Cydia will be fine. The only thing the SIM controls is the phone network, the iPhone will work fine without a SIM in it, just won't make calls.

Depending where you are overseas, I'd check on getting one in one of the countrys where the iPhone is sold hardware unlocked (Italy maybe?)

ebay is littered with unlocked iPhones for relatively cheap

Probably not what you wanted to hear but I hope this helps get you started.

Hope you enjoy your stay in the usa
NUG
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Visitor wants HELP to buy & unlock iphone

Post by NUG »

Thanks, i'll look into the SIM adaptor as i head out in 2 weeks time back to Asia. Electronics aren't cheap where we live so $99 is a song. $499 foir a plan isn't going to suit us.

NUG

Return to “iphone specific”