Hack turns iPhone into free mobile broadband dongle

Topics that are specific to iphones go hear.
Forum rules
Do not link to iphone/ipod touch restoration files unless its an official Apple link. No hacked firmwares allowed so DO NOT ASK FOR THEM.
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Hack turns iPhone into free mobile broadband dongle

Post by commando_lee »

Owners of the Apple iPhone 3G and the new iPhone 3GS handsets can easily get around charges that providers apply if users want to use the handset as a mobile broadband dongle.

Currently O2 charges £14.68 per month for the tethering option which allows the user to turn their handset into a wireless modem with a monthly data download limit of 3 Gb.

However, the iPhone enthusiast site benm.at, is offering a small piece of software that activates the tethering option completely free of charge.

This could mean problems for O2 which is the only provider of the iPhone in the UK and is looking forward to huge sales of the newly released iPhone 3GS.

O2 says that tethering without paying for it is prohibited under its terms of service.
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
Gisborne
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Hack turns iPhone into free mobile broadband dongle

Post by Gisborne »

Even works with o2 PayAsYouGo iPhone's :o
Word of caution though, I reckon o2 can detect it, after all the iPhone can only do 1 internet task at a time a PC can do multiple.
As always though, don't abuse the service and I'm sure o2 will leave us to it.
When the bad gets good...

aVByZXAgdjAxMCBpcyBpbiBkZXZlbG9wbWVudA==
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Re: Hack turns iPhone into free mobile broadband dongle

Post by commando_lee »

Very true, But we all know people will abuse it and spoil the fun for all
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.

Return to “iphone specific”