Downgradeing?

Topics that are ipod touch specific go here.
Forum rules
Do not link to iphone/ipod touch restoration files unless its an official Apple link. No hacked firmwares allowed so DO NOT ASK FOR THEM OR POST LINKS TO THEM.
ohnoacucumber
Bandit
Bandit

Downgradeing?

Post by ohnoacucumber »

Hey guys, my touch is at v. 2.2.1 and I was wondering how to get it to 1.1.4 i didn't see a guide and didn't see any links i found a link on google but it says firmware is not compatible. Any ideas
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Downgradeing?

Post by BobSeager »

I didn't see anything after a once-over either man, I'll let you know if I find something. I usually get forced into upgrading because of app compatibility issues.

Remeber, the applications from appstore don't work on sub-2.0 firmwares.
ohnoacucumber
Bandit
Bandit

Post by ohnoacucumber »

well im not worried about that. I just want it to be jailbroken so that i can get the most. Have any suggestions on what to do?
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

ohnoacucumber wrote:well im not worried about that. I just want it to be jailbroken so that i can get the most. Have any suggestions on what to do?
Why do you want to downgrade? You can jailbreak a first gen on any currently available firmware. Im on 2.2.1 now (I think) and ive been jailbroken since like November of last year.
ohnoacucumber
Bandit
Bandit

Post by ohnoacucumber »

I have 2gen sorry i didnt say that
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Oh, second gen. I dont think you can even downgrade it. BTW the second gen CANNOT be jailbroken with any first gen methods, it has different hardware (I think its only a different processor + mic)

Here is a tut for doing your 2nd gen:
shortperson1026 Of iPodTouchFans wrote:
BEFORE you begin, restore your iPod Touch clean to it's factory state.
As with every other tutorial you need the C++ redistributable and LIBusb

1. Download unofficialsn0w 2.0 for Windows from here Download

2. Get the 2.2.1 iPod Touch Firmware Here (This is a download from apple)

3. Rename the 2.2.1 ipsw to OriginalFW, or OriginalFW.ipsw IF you have file extensions visible, and place it in /IPSW

4. Run IPSW.bat (It will take a while)

a.Right click on the jb.ispw and either open with Winrar or 7.zip

b.Go into Firmware\all_flash\all_flash.n72ap.production\

c. Delete the LLB file.(optional since it will be replaced by the new one)

d. Replace (by dragging) with the LLB file that's in the same folder as the jb.ipsw.

e. Exit, continue to step 6

6. Place your iPod Touch 2G into DFU mode, plug it in and run RUNME.exe

7. Shift + Restore to JB.ipsw in iTunes and your done!!! :D

TROUBLESHOOTING:

RUNME.exe not working? Be sure you have libusb and the c++ redistributable installed

Libusb download: click me
C++ Red. package download: click me

RUNME.exe not working and you have libusb and the c++ redist?

Learn how to get into DFU mode here:
click me

Credits to the iPhone Dev Team/Chronic for their coolness B)
Link your blogs here http://technologybydanger.blogspot.com/ ... -tool.html
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

As far as I knew, any ipod that has crossed the 2.0 threshold can't be downgraded. Gen1 devices can simply use Quickpwn to accomlish the job. Gen2 devices should be able to be done using the steps that Haggardsmurf posted above. I've never done a 2nd device so I can't say for sure though.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Well I just remembered something, then second gen only has 1 FW (Maybe 2, im not sure). You cannot use first gen FW on a second gen.

The first gen can also be downgraded by DFU then SHIFT + Restore in apple, then restore to whatever FW you want.
ohnoacucumber
Bandit
Bandit

Post by ohnoacucumber »

well now i just tried redsnow and it does it all but its been setting in the apple screen like 40min and every once in a while it flashes white and than it makes that booping sound like something is connecting. what now?
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Did you follow what the tutorial said? You need to build your custom FW first.

Also check to see that you have "the C++ redistributable and LIBusb"
ohnoacucumber
Bandit
Bandit

Post by ohnoacucumber »

before u posted that I DID uhm.. RED SNOW and it does it ok but when booting up it stays at apple screen. I guess im going to have to DFU mode than 2.2.1 restore than hopefully it will reboot so i can do ur method... correct or? Not really sure what to do to get outta this apple loading screen

Also, I have put it into DFU mode and then when itunes says its in recoverymode i hit "restore" (so i can load the 2.2.1) and it says " Software for this Ipod it unavailable, try to download the latest version of Itunes and please try again." I have the latest version. also aim me if u got it at, ohnoacucumber.

EDIT= I have it restored to 2.2.1 i forgot to SHIFT+CLICK it i feel like a noob so imma try ur method and get back to ya guys
ohnoacucumber
Bandit
Bandit

Post by ohnoacucumber »

OK i got file downloaded but i ran the ipsw thing and the the ugm... idk what it is called the "RUN" just popped up for 1 sec and closed.. whats up with that
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

Whoa, considering it's working after all that I think you better just leave it be man ;)

glad you got it functioning again but 2nd gens never ran anything other than 2.0 (+)
ohnoacucumber
Bandit
Bandit

Post by ohnoacucumber »

ok its jailboken thanks fellas. but ive ran into several problems.. with cydia my main one is that i d/l steffwiz and then i go to d.l all sources and it says "cant comply" wtf? now what
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

ohnoacucumber wrote:ok its jailboken thanks fellas. but ive ran into several problems.. with cydia my main one is that i d/l steffwiz and then i go to d.l all sources and it says "cant comply" wtf? now what
Gratz on the jailbreak!

What is steffwiz? :O
Dont download all the sources, not all can be trusted. Use community sources, and possibly a few others. Also, when you download app's make sure they are compatible with second gen. It wont make a huge difference, but if its compatible for your generation, it will almost never crash.

Return to “ipod touch specific”