Reinstalling iTunes = erase my iTouch?

Topics that are ipod touch specific go here.
Forum rules
Do not link to iphone/ipod touch restoration files unless its an official Apple link. No hacked firmwares allowed so DO NOT ASK FOR THEM OR POST LINKS TO THEM.
Ivrit007
Bandit
Bandit

Reinstalling iTunes = erase my iTouch?

Post by Ivrit007 »

I just got a 2nd Gen iTouch ver. 2.2.1
I initally set up my iTunes (i hate iTunes!) with the iTouch.

I had to format my PC's Hard Drive and reinstall XP, I thought I could just reinstall iTunes and sign-in with my previous account when I hook up my iTouch up to the PC for the first time again.
iTunes wants to clear my iTouch! Is this correct? Really?
Is there settings or somthing in iTunes to allow my iTouch as is currently with all my contacts and Favs to Sync?

I lookex at Xilisoft iPhone Transfer and the iPod Mate pack they sell
http://www.xilisoft.com/ipod-mate.html
It sounds like it gives you alot more freedom than iTunes.

Ultimately I will JailBreak, but at the moment is they any way for me to Sync again without loosing all my iTouch Data?

Thanx alot for any help you can provide.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Reinstalling iTunes = erase my iTouch?

Post by BobSeager »

What's up man.

I hate iTunes too, I would use the open source Songbird except I need app support for the phone.

When I reformat, iTunes will give me the option to restore from a backup or sync to an old account (as opposed to the other option, set up as a new device).

iTunes should allow you to import your data from your device into iTunes tho when you initially sync and therefore not lose anything.

When you connect your device to iTunes, does it ask you if you want to -

A) Set up as a new device

or

B) Restore from a backup

...or does it not ask you either.
Ivrit007
Bandit
Bandit

Post by Ivrit007 »

I will be back in about 5 hours from now. I just got home from work (midnight shift) and need some sleep.
I will take a look at iTunes and the options you speak of then.
Ivrit007
Bandit
Bandit

Post by Ivrit007 »

Ok, iTunes does not ask me:
A) Set up as a new device
or
B) Restore from a backup
Well not as plainly as that, but it does ask me...
Erase/Synce -vs- Transfer Purchases

Not sure if it helps any but I am using the iTunes 8.2
Ivrit007
Bandit
Bandit

Post by Ivrit007 »

I pick Transfer Purchas and get this:
I will Authorize the Computer (Duh)

and AHAH! that's what i wanted to see :D

Ok entered my account email and password and it looks good.
What I dont get is:
2 Computers out of my 5?
I never installed this on another PC.
Does this mean iTunes or the iStore through iTunes sees the number of account authorized VS the authorization with its email/password and proof of Client?

What if I format 4 more times? will I then have no choise to Erase/Synce my iTouch and start over with a new email account or contact iTechSupport and tell them they suck.
This whole iTunes thing iSuckZ!
I am very pleased with what all the iTouch can do. I am rather new to Apple and the iTouch opened that door for me to finally peek in, but this iTouch is capable of doing so much more.
I am so JailBreaking this one.
Ivrit007
Bandit
Bandit

Post by Ivrit007 »

Note: I really need help when I post but as you can see I ask questions and like to run down the steps and answer them with on the post. I think this will help others out there who maybe are less tech savvy than I am. Breaking it down with pics and all.
It may be a little redundant but it makes it easy for the simple to understand. :D
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

Yeah man your posts look good, its always better to have more information than less. I'm sure someone somewhere will find it helpful.

I'm glad you got it working, that's what my iTunes will ask me (If i want to transfer purchases)

Here's some info from Apple on authorizing/de-authorizing limitations. It looks like you're fine so long as in the future you remember to deauthorize prior to reformatting (I have no idea what happens to your account if you reach 5 other than presumably not being able to add another PC unless you deauth one):

To deauthorize one computer

1. Open iTunes.
2. Choose Store > Deauthorize Computer (In earlier versions of iTunes, access this option from the Advanced menu).
3. Select "Deauthorize Computer for Apple Account" and enter your Apple ID and password.

To deauthorize all computers associated with your account

If you find you have reached 5 authorizations, you can reset your authorization count by clicking Deauthorize All in the Account Information screen.

1. Click iTunes Store in the menu on the left side of iTunes.
2. If you're not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.
3. Click the Account button again (your ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click View Account.
4. In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.

Note: You may only use this feature once per year.
Ivrit007
Bandit
Bandit

Post by Ivrit007 »

Wow really?!
Though its the same PC I may have to go back and de-authorize my first iTunes Installation.
So its like I have one license for my device but they see me as logged into 2 different networks, kinda like I meant to break some kind of EULA. LOL!
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Ivrit007 wrote:Wow really?!
Though its the same PC I may have to go back and de-authorize my first iTunes Installation.
So its like I have one license for my device but they see me as logged into 2 different networks, kinda like I meant to break some kind of EULA. LOL!
You have 2 different library' authorized. It may say computers, but it is referring to library's.

A good thing to do when you reformat is to copy your library + your music folder. Try to keep the same folder structure on your newly formatted computer.

IE: all or most of your music is in a location x:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Stuff\Music\ Backup all your music, then make those 2 folders again on your desktop, then if you put your itunes folder from your my music folder back, when you open itunes it will have all your music etc...
Ivrit007
Bandit
Bandit

Post by Ivrit007 »

Smurfy man. thanks alot :D
Awesome info.

Return to “ipod touch specific”