How to Jailbreak iphone/ipod w/1.1.4 or lower

Guides and tutorials go here. These can be either iphone or ipod touch and in some cases, both.
Forum rules
Do not link to iphone/ipod touch restoration files unless its an official Apple link. No hacked firmwares allowed so DO NOT ASK FOR THEM OR POST LINKS TO THEM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

How to Jailbreak iphone/ipod w/1.1.4 or lower

Post by sadalius »

This video guide is really for the ipod touch, but you can do the iphone as well. If your ipod touch or iphone is on firmware 1.2.0 you'll have to use a different method so this is for 1.1.4 or lower.

Sadalius

No questions by PM please
NeoRio
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Re: How to Jailbreak iphone/ipod w/1.1.4 or lower

Post by NeoRio »

Thanks for this tutorial. Do you have any info on the new G3 iPhone?--whether it can be unlocked or not? (Also, in a nutshell, what exactly is "jailbreak" when referring to an iPhone?)

Thanks
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

Im 99.9% sure theres no software unlock for the new iphone yet...but a new pwnage tool is being released soon (although I haven't read it's supposed to unlock either). Ebay is littered with 'unlocked' 3g iphones but beware, read between the lines and you'll see they offer 'advice on how to do it when a solution becomes available' and other scams. I think there may be a sim adapter which offers to unlock the 3g it but someone else will have to confirm if it works or not.

The current winpwn and pwnage tools will jailbreak the 3g. Jailbreaking WILL NOT unlock your phone for use on other carriers but allows you to install non-official applications and tools. For instance, games and applications from 3rd party sources not sanctioned by Apple. There are literally hundreds if not more 3rd party apps only accessible through jailbreaking. You can also browse/edit your iphone's filesystems instead of using itunes. I found it very practical and useful to jailbreak even if unlocking weren't an option. I do have the 1st gen iphone tho so I did both. Jailbreaking still allows you full use of the Apple software features, it will void your warranty tho.

You should also be aware that if you jailbreak, you should research any apps that you install. While many are legitimate and pretty impressive quality...some do cause problems. In fact, before the appstore launched I remember a lot of the now-legitimate applications started off being released and accessible through jailbroken phones.

All in all I'd say its unquestionably worth it. :)
NeoRio
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by NeoRio »

Thanks for the answer. So as of yet the 3G has not been unlocked. Is the only way to use the new 3G iPhone, to have an AT&T contract and pay $80 monthly? If (and when) it could be unlocked, would you be able to use the 3G with any carrier and also get the same internet options that you would with AT&T--but not having to pay so much on the monthly subscription?

If I were to set out to buy an iPhone today, which version (not memory size) should I get? The new 3G is only $199 with a contract, while used older ones are selling for upwards of $400.

Thanks again
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

As of today yes, you would have to get the AT&T contract in order to get a 3g iphone. Unlike the old days when you could buy the phone and walk out with the box intact, both Apple & AT&T retail stores (sole place to buy iphone 3g) require signing up for the contract in-store.

As for data. I do not have EDGE as I have a prepaid iphone (i pay about $10/mo for the iphone and its features). That said, I have read the 1st gen iphone will support T-Mobile's EDGE network if you have a T-Mobile contract (with EDGE). You may want to research if it works with your specific carrier. Just a note- T-Mobile doesnt have 3g yet...so that's not even an option. I cannot vouch for 3g on other networks tho :roll:

As for internet-options (and others). The only way I know of to access Visual Voicemail on the iphone is with AT&T as it is a feature of the carrier. Similar to how only certain T-Mobile phones can access T-Mobile's MyFave5 plans. So you wouldn't have Visual VML unless you got AT&T. The other thing yet to be tested is of course the GPS. I do not know if there's an answer yet as to whether the GPS will work over 3g with anyone besides AT&T (as it's yet to be unlocked, nowhere I know of offers a test/solution). Other than those two, I have no features that AT&T subscribers do not have. iphone EDGE data works on T-Mobile's EDGE network (provided your plan includes it).

Honestly speaking you'd have to decide for yourself if the 3g is worth it. Yes, EDGE is slow but, WIFI is very fast (and everywhere) and the phone picks up weak connections very well. Frankly, if a site doesn't load in 10 seconds its not going to load anyway so I can live with EDGE or WIFI.

The only real difference between the old and the new is the 3g's inclusion of GPS hardware and the 3g data. The 1st gen iphone still offers turn-by-turn touch navigation through Google Maps but it will not act as a GPS. Think of it as an iphone-optimized mapquest in your pocket.

For me it came down to two things- Could I unlock it (I could never swallow $80+ a mo) and wifi (very few touch-screen competitors offer wifi (if any???), which is the only way to get internet sans data plan).

Return to “Guides/Tutorials”