How to use Quickpwn to update your ipod/iphone

Guides and tutorials go here. These can be either iphone or ipod touch and in some cases, both.
Forum rules
Do not link to iphone/ipod touch restoration files unless its an official Apple link. No hacked firmwares allowed so DO NOT ASK FOR THEM OR POST LINKS TO THEM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

How to use Quickpwn to update your ipod/iphone

Post by sadalius »

A little story before I get started here. Of all the times of putting a new firmware on my ipod touch, the process always wiped it clean. I had to re-transfer all my music, re-download all my apps, everything. Well, I've found a way around that. Here is how I did mine. In all honesty, I hadn't planned on updating this time around until there were a couple of apps that had updated, but wouldn't install because they required the newer firmware. So here is how I did it.

1. I downloaded the latest quickpwn for windows from http://blog.iphone-dev.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. I fired up itunes, this time instead of downloading the firmware from somewhere else and choosing to restore it like all the instructions that I've read before, I let itunes update it, not restore it. This process updated my ipod to the latest firmware and left all my music, videos and app store apps intact. It did delete all the apps that I had downloaded from cydia, but hey, re-downloading those takes only a few mintues compared to re-transferring everything else.

3. Once itunes updated my ipod, I creatd a folder on the desktop called pwnage and extracted the quickpwn files to there. I used windows search to search for ipsw files. After finding the latest ipsw, I copied it to my pwnage folder.

4. With my ipod disconnected from the computer, I ran the quickpwn program. It told me to connect my ipod/iphone and I did and then clicked the blue arrow at the bottom. It recognized it as an ipod and found the firmware file automatically. Clicked the blue arrow again and then choose to install cydia and installer and clicked the blue arrow again. Then I had to go through the process of putting the ipod in recovery mode. There were easy instructions on screen. It then uploaded the files to pwn the device. I then finished following the on screen instructions and everything else is pretty much automatic.

There you have it. It was easy, I didn't loose any data except for what I had downloaded through cydia. The way quickpwn works is to already have the latest firmware on your device before running quickpwn. Then using the firmware that you provide to quickpwn, it only makes the files necessary to pwn the device by analyzing only what is needed. Then it uploads and installs those files so perform the jailbreak.

Hope this helps someone save some data!!
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: How to use Quickpwn to update your ipod/iphone

Post by CoFree »

id say it should help.
i quit updating mine.
i did not want to reload everything. :D

when i have sometime ill give this a try. ;)
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: How to use Quickpwn to update your ipod/iphone

Post by BobSeager »

I've always restored and then updated my device in the past just to have a clean slate but, when going from 2.1 to 2.2 I just opted to update and it kept all my settings and apps and contacts. After that tho, I restored and updated ;)

Return to “Guides/Tutorials”