Complete Guide to WADs (Custom Channels)

onyxx
Squire
Squire

Complete Guide to WADs (Custom Channels)

Post by onyxx »

(Tutorial was made by PSPWAD on Maxconsole forums)
WARNING: ONLY INSTALL TRUSTED WAD FILES! WADS WITH CORRUPT OR INCORRECT BANNER OR ICON DATA WILL BRICK YOUR WII! IF IT IS OUT OF WARRENTY, IT WILL COST $75 TO GET IT REPAIRED BECAUSE THERE ARE NO TOOLS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE TO UNDO BANNER BRICKS!
WARNING: THIS TUTORIAL IS NOT MEANT FOR INSTALLING VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES YOU DO NOT OWN! I DO NOT CLAIM RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS
NOTE: NOBODY BUT YOURSELF IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES DONE TO YOUR WII BY USE OF ANY OF THIS INFORMATION! STICK TO THE CORRECT REGION OF YOUR CONSOLE WHEN USING WAD FILES. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Table of Contents:
I. Making the Wii Homebrew Ready.
II. Installing WAD Files (Channels).
III. Editing WAD Icons/Banners. (COMING SOON)

I. Making the Wii Homebrew Ready.
The most effecient method to make your Wii Homebrew ready and give it easy access to manage Custom Channels (WADs) is to install the Homebrew Channel.

Methods to Install Homebrew Channel:
A. Homebrew Channel Install Disc (Modchip and 3.2 Firmware or lower)
B. Install via Twilight Princess Hack

A. Homebrew Channel Install Disc
What you Need:
Wii with Modchip and 3.2 Firmware or lower
Blank DVD-Rs

1. Go here and download the Homebrew Channel ISO.
2. Burn the dvd image using your favorite burning program, put it in your Wii and run it like a normal game. It will install itself.

B. Install via Twilight Princess Hack
What you Need:
Official Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess Wii Game
Twilight Hack (DOWNLOAD)
Homebrew Channel Install Package (DOWNLOAD)
SD Card

1. Backup your existing Twilight Princess gamesave to your PC, delete the save from your Wii, then format your SD card.
2. Go here and download the Homebrew Channel ELF package and the Twilight Hack.
3. Copy the Twilight Hack and the contents of the Homebrew Channel package to the root of the SD card. NOTE: The boot.elf file from the Homebrew Channel package MUST be in the root directory of the memory stick.
4. Create a folder named "apps" in root of the SD card.
5. Navigate on your Wii to the gamesave menu, insert the SD card, then copy the Twilight Hack gamesave to the Wii internal memory.
6. Return to the main menu and insert your Twilight Princess disc.
7. Boot the game then load the first gamesave.
8. After it loads you will see a man, you can either run away from him, or approach and talk to him. Either method will start the hack.
9. After the hack activates you will eventually get some warning messages, just keep hitting Accept and it will eventually install the channel.
10. After the Wii reboots the Homebrew Channel will show up!

II. Installing WAD Files (Channels).
What you Need:
Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii.
WAD Manager (DOWNLOAD)
SD Card

1. Copy the WAD Manager folder into the apps folder on your SD Card.
2. Create a folder called "WAD" in the root of the SD card.
3. Copy the WAD files you want to install into the WAD direcotry on the SD card.
4. Insert the SD card into the Wii and start the Homebrew Channel.
5. Select WAD Manager and then hit Load. It will then bring up a list of the WADs on the SD card.
6. Browse the list and hit + to install the WADs you want, and - to uninstall. (NOTE: YOU MUST KEEP A COPY OF THE WAD IF YOU INTEND TO UNINSTALL THE CHANNEL AT A LATER TIME.)
7. Hit HOME to exit.
Last edited by onyxx on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Complete Guide to WADs (Custom Channels)

Post by CoFree »

I moved this to a thread just for members guides for the Wii.
good job. ;)
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Its also important to pay attention to region coding. I think we had a member here that was messing around with some pal wads on his ntsc wii and got a brick like this too.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
pspness
Squire
Squire

Post by pspness »

Haha that member was me! Lol, i wish i had this guide earlier. Luckily warranty is still intact. Imma use this soon
Mickie James owns me ;)
bballuk
Peasant
Peasant

Post by bballuk »

Hi i have few questions if i install the Twilight Princess Hack does this mean i can play my back-ups without installing a mod chip also if i download a WAD file is there any way to tell if its ok to use and last question if my Wii does get bricked/banned will the shop know ive messed around with it and not take it back ?

thanks for any reply
onyxx
Squire
Squire

Post by onyxx »

bballuk wrote:Hi i have few questions if i install the Twilight Princess Hack does this mean i can play my back-ups without installing a mod chip also if i download a WAD file is there any way to tell if its ok to use and last question if my Wii does get bricked/banned will the shop know ive messed around with it and not take it back ?

thanks for any reply
The Twilight Princess Hack is not installed it is a hacked game save from the game Zelda Twilight Princess. It is used to install apps like the Homebrew Channel. You need a copy of this game in order to execute the Twilight Hack.

Yes you can soft mod your wii if you install the Home Brew Channel and install cIOS rev 7 use the Backup Launcher Gamma App. The Backup Launcher is not 100% compatible with all games and occasionally has slow load time or laggy play back. There will be a better solution when Bootmii is released then there will be full custom firmware released for the wii but until then the Backup Launcher is the only softmod.

I don't know of any way to check a wad file.

Being Banned is not an issue with the Wii, I have never heard of a case yet. Besides what can you get banned from, haha. Bricking a wii I haven't heard to much of unless you stray from tutorials trying to run your own code. I also dont know what "shop" your referring to do you mean Nintendo repair shop or a retail shop?
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

I think he is referring to Nintendo repair centers, or maybe even the place he bought it from, I'm not real sure. But it would be real easy to Nintendo Repair Centers to tell if you messed with it, not so easy for retail shops though.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please

Return to “Wii guides go here”