[Tutorial] YLOD Fix (YELLOW LIGHT OF DEATH)

jockavelli
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Post by jockavelli »

By Jockavelli

Disclaimer: Please be advised if your ps3 is still in warranty on then return it to where you purchased it from OR send to SONY, do not attempt this repair as it WILL invalidate you warranty.

The following repair is for faulty mother boards only and will not repair power supply issues or disc read errors.
By following this guide I do not guarantee you will fix your ps3 and by attempting this repair YOU take full responsibility for any loss of hardware due to damage caused by following this guide!!!!!

If you’re reading this then you have experienced one of the worst things that can happen to your PS3
So hopefully by following these steps we get you back up and running!!!

Tools needed
Heat gun (temperature controlled preferably).
Isopropyl alcohol.
Compressed air blower.
Phillips screw driver.
Flat blade screw driver
Slotted torx bit.

Again this is only for the YELLOW light of death on PS3 systems (all models)

To prepare for this pls see the link below for disassembly instructions. (you WILL need a lot of space)
viewtopic.php?f=190&t=3794

OK once you PS3 if in pieces you can start.

1)Clean the cases so they don't look like the ones above....

2)Heat sink plates before the heat sink compound has bee removed quite dusty as you can see.
Again that has to be cleaned.

3)Check the top metal cover plate (underside) for burn-in marks, as you can see in the above pic this ps3 got very hot before it got the YLOD.

4) Place the ps3 mother board on a flat heat resistive surface.
Now its heat gun time.

5) Turn heat gun on and set temperature to 350 deg and the fan speed to low (if its set to high it will move the surface mounts & you will do even more damage).

Allow gun to get up to temperature before continuing.....

6) CPU side first. Heat sink compound still on in this picture, remove before reflowing.

Using a circular motion hold heat gun over areas marked above, keep heat gun an inch above board & components at all times.

After 15 to 20 seconds move onto the next area.

Once all marked areas have been reflowed on the mother board LEAVE for at least 10 to 15
minutes to cool.

DO NOT MOVE THE MOTHER BOARD WHILE COOLING.

A popping noise may be heard during cooling, don’t worry about it as this is normal.

7) NON CPU side. Heat sink rubber pads still on in this picture remove before reflowing also hold ribbons out of the way while reflowing.

Using a circular motion hold heat gun over areas marked above, keep heat gun an inch above board & components at all times.

After 15 to 20 seconds move onto the next area.

Once all marked areas have been reflowed on the mother board LEAVE for at least 10 to 15
minutes to cool.

DO NOT MOVE THE MOTHER BOARD WHILE COOLING.

A popping noise may be heard during cooling, don’t worry about it as this is normal.

8) Congratulations!! You have just reflowed your ps3 mother board.

Almost done!!!!

9) Now its time to apply new heat sink compound to the 2 processors,
When doing this its always best to follow the manufacturers instructions but I believe the process is the same with all types (please check instructions that come with paste).

The paste I used was called AKASA 450 it’s a silver based compound. (I know that there is a better but it's all i had).

Use syringe supplied and dispense a small worm of compound from top to bottom on the left hand side of processor chip,
Now using credit card supplied spread compound evenly and thinly over processor face (too much is bad and not enough is also bad) the ideal amount is when you can almost see through the paste.

Now repeat on the other processor.

So both look like the above pic.

10) Now its time to put your PS3 back together, Again see the link below and this time work backwards.
viewtopic.php?f=190&t=3794

Hopes this helps you.
Pls leave some comments letting me know how you get on with it.

Thanks

Jockavelli
Bringing NEWS & VIEWS to RHPG
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: [Tutorial] YLOD Fix (YELLOW LIGHT OF DEATH)

Post by sadalius »

Awesome, so this is the PS3 version of the Xbox 360's RROD. And there I thought I had gotten out of that possibility when I bought my PS3...... Nice guide though. I'm sure knowing my luck, it will come in handy down the road.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: [Tutorial] YLOD Fix (YELLOW LIGHT OF DEATH)

Post by CoFree »

sadalius wrote:I'm sure knowing my luck, it will come in handy down the road.
me to :?
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.

Return to “PS3 Tutorials”