Finally got Homebrew Channel, on to HDD Loader

This is the place for you sof mod wii questions.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Finally got Homebrew Channel, on to HDD Loader

Post by BobSeager »

This is all part of a quest to get the wii to load from a HDD as the laser is getting really unreliable.

My wii is a first gen old ass launch wii with a wiikey v1 and 3.4u firmware. It does not have Homebrew channel or any other mods.

After reading about the Twilight Hack and requirements for getting HBC on 3.4u, I decided it sounded much easier to do this from 4.0 using bannerbomb.

I ran the system update to get to 4.0 and then, following KongNutz tut, had HBC and Backup Loader running within 10 minutes. I tried Backup Loader with varying success. Mario Galaxy (U) ran, but Fatal Frame (J) did not, nor did Obscure Aftermath. I figure compatibility will increase in time.

Using WFBS Manager (thx guys) I got WarioWare over to a USB flash and an SD but the wii wouldn’t recognize either one through HDD Forwarder Channel or USB Loader, so I’ll have to try some other drives, I couldn’t find a damn male-to-male USB cable which I needed to connect some other drives. As I routed through endless bags of cable, I got really mad at companies releasing multiple cables which don’t work for anything but their own stuff. Eventually I was just throwing stuff, but anyway.

In the end, it’s closer, but not yet totally working.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Finally got Homebrew Channel, on to HDD Loader

Post by CoFree »

imo man

i would load the gui-fx forward wad on the sd card
in the wad folder
the run the wad manger v1.4 from the apps form the apps folder on the sd card.

after it installs the channel
take out the sd card
have you HD hook up that has the 2 different partition on it.
1st one need to be fat and the 2nd needs to be wbfs (for the wii)

then start gui-fx it will tell you there is not gui-fx installed and ask if you want to download it
say yes
it will down the gui-fx on to the HD
then once you have your game iso on there it will work good.

you need to have the network setup before you do any of this.

let me know if this help
it worked for me :?
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

Alrite I think all is well but when I launch GUI-FX and select download its telling me no FAT found. Stupid question, but this doesnt have to be plain FAT does it? Will fat32 or 16 work?
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Fat 32 should work. At least in the program info's it says fat32 will work. If your working with a USB HDD, make sure that you create two partitions. Create the first one something small like 2gb or less, if you make it 2gb or less, you'll be able to format it in just regular fat. If your using XP or Vista, make sure to activate the partition after creating and formatting it. Then the rest of the unpartitioned space can go to WBFS. If you don't have the fat or fat32 partition as the primary partition and active, the Wii won't be able to see it.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

Dude, you are the MAN. It wasn't active... :roll:

The whole thing works! No more noisy ass wii!

Thanks both you guys, this saves me $300+

Now off to hoard artwork 8-)
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

what kind of art work man
are you talking about 3d cover art for the wii games.

here man
check this out
at the bottom get that link :?
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=5442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Good going man. I knew it was going to be something simple. You do know that GUI-FX will download it's own covers right? Just go into the config menu, select the type of covers you want, then use the download all option.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

gui-fx
ROCKS :D :D
No Questions by PM.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

Thanks, there's a lot I have to research regarding fine-tuning the interface. What's your guys experience with other region games. I loaded mario galaxy and warioware but my wii sports is PAL and I just got a green screen/freeze.

I had to install CIOS rev10 before the drive was recognized, but that was a piece of cake since it ran the wad right through HBC. I didn't get a chance to play around with it much last night but hope to check out all the options soon. This is a sweet program. It's pretty much a better interface and makes for a more reliable system than Nintendo's original design. Without any moving mechanical parts, the Wii should now last pretty much forever (given the hard drive) AND run quieter and maybe even cooler although that was never an issue. I'm using an old WD 80gb attached over one of those adapters that fits onto the back and then plugs into the wall for power. I will probably set up a usb-powered 250gb or so.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

ive never messed with games from different regions
sorry man
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

I just got a USB powered drive last night. It works pretty good, no more digging around behind the entertainment center to retrieve the power supply when I want to mess with the drive, YAY!!

I don't know much about playing pal games on an ntsc system either. I know it's supposed to work though, but it doesn't work with all games. I think there is a list of working games for different region on a particular region wii somewhere though.
Sadalius

BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

Got the artwork going, guifx is really impressive.

I haven't had a pal game work yet, WFBS manager transfers pal games very, very fast, like 1 minute which sounds like somethings not working quite right.

Mario Galaxy is working well, I played a few levels but after I grabbed one star after playing for awhile there was no 'star sound' which you normally get. The background track kept going but it froze after that.

I used imgburn to get mario galaxy from my disk to an iso before transferring it to the hdd via wfbs and i had imgburn rip at full speed. I'm wondering if this could be the issue.

Overall i'm extremely pleased with guifx and wfbs manager tho, these seem like temporary setbacks. ill try at a lower speed, 2 or 2.4
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

i did not think you could dump a wii game like that
its been awhile but
i thought the best way if you wanted to dump a wii orig with a pc was with
rawdump v2.1 found here
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a compatible dvd drive by "LG"
read over this.
viewtopic.php?f=116&t=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or
a app installed in the wii to rip a orig game.
No Questions by PM.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

I've got issues with freezing. I transferred punch-out the 'traditional' way from the pc to the usb drive via wfbs 3.0 (not using imgburn to create the backup). Since both backups freeze, i think it's either a crappy hdd or more likely, something with the wii didn't load correctly when managing the wad files. My wii was so shot that I didn't really care at all if i messed it up so i loaded the wads haphazardly and suppose something couldve gotten wrecked, or that it's using a cios other than 10. I loaded 10, i just don't know if it was done correctly. It works tho, so i dont care. Punch-Out would freeze a lot before i switched which USB port I was using on the wii from the back-top to back-bottom. Then it only froze once in about 30 minutes of play. I'll see if that resolves it. I can tolerate freezing once in awhile, but not like it was before i switched ports.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

have a look over this
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/USB_Launcher_v1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No Questions by PM.

Return to “Soft Mod Questions”