Question about my jtag

Only things pertaining to J-Tag
Forum rules
Only post or question about doing J-tag on a 360.
All other post/question will be moved or trashed.
smpolak
Squire
Squire

Question about my jtag

Post by smpolak »

I recently bought a jtag. The jtag motherboard is Xenon. Now when I turn on the jtag it shows temperature on 60C CPU and GPU.I do not want my jtag to die soon. The xbox had never rrod yet. Should I replace the x-clamps and add some fans it to it?

Sorry for my English and I don't know if I post in the right place.
Falcon Xbox 360 RROD (BENQ)
Jasper Xbox 360 with lite on
Xenon hatachi jtag
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Question about my jtag

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

For some reason at the dashboard you will see higher temp's than if you are running an application or a game.

60c seems like a high temp, but cpu's and gpu's now are specifically built for certain temp ranges. I'm not 100% sure on the temp's you should be seeing on the console, as they are much different that you will see on a PC, or even a PS3 for that matter.

So before you go swapping the paste have a look on google see what you can find. I tried quickly and found alot of random temp's. 60c at dash may be normal, who knows.
smpolak
Squire
Squire

Post by smpolak »

I tried to put new fan too on the cpu and still is 60 but I try on the gpu it went down to 30C. I wonder if x-clamp fix would do anything for cpu
Xenon hatachi jtag
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

That right there shows you your thermal paste is working fine.

The CPU is under some sort of load at the dashboard, so it is doing some processing thus creating heat. The GPU is under a very light load, since the dashboard is much more cpu intensive than gpu.

Anyhow your paste seems to be working fine.

Just to clear this up if you dont already know. An xclamp replacement is done as a bandaid fix for RROD, and all it does is add more pressure to the heatsink's and basically squish the die (cpu and gpu) down to the motherboard and usually will fix any bad solder joints in the BGA. (which you do not have, therefore there is no need for an xclamp replacement)

That will not do anything for overheating, and infact will likely cause damage to your console after a certain period of time. The only thing that will possibly drop temp's would be replacing the thermal paste on the cpu and gpu with a higher grade paste like arctic silver 5 or some high end extreme cooling paste like tuniq t5 or whatever.

However that will only give you a few degree's difference if properly applied.

At the end of the day 99% of xbox failures (RROD) are from the gpu getting to high temps 100C+ duing heavy gaming, then turned off, and rapidly cooling back down to room temp. You wont really have any issues if your cpu is at 60c at the dashboard I wouldn't worry about it.

As I said most rrod is GPU related, and also 60c on the cpu really isnt that big of a deal. If you really want to be extra cautious of the damage to the console, give it lots of airflow, but when you turn it off try to put it in a closed space so it cools down slowely. IE: in a cabinet or entertainment center.
smpolak
Squire
Squire

Post by smpolak »

Thanks for advice. Im thinking of taking out the dvd drive and put a fan on the top of the gpu and try to do more airflow in the xbox
Xenon hatachi jtag
moonknight
Possible Ally of Robinhood
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by moonknight »

There is a setting in Freestyle Dashboard to manually turn up your fan speed, you could try turning it up to max and see if that works for you. It will be loud, though!
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

You can also buy one of the gpu heatsink's with the heatpipe and install a fan on top of the second heatsink. Or even look for an aftermarket heatsink. Hell if you want to go all out you can watercool it, thats'll keep the temps down.
smpolak
Squire
Squire

Post by smpolak »

HaGGardSmurf wrote:You can also buy one of the gpu heatsink's with the heatpipe and install a fan on top of the second heatsink. Or even look for an aftermarket heatsink. Hell if you want to go all out you can watercool it, thats'll keep the temps down.
I'm thinking of water cooling it. Now my jtag does weird things like E74 and I reset and all good like never did happen.
If I do water cool the xbox I will show the work that I done.
Xenon hatachi jtag
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Should be pretty easy, I would think there are water blocks for the CPU and GPU now, all you would need to do is mount the rad, and route the tubing.

Return to “J-Tag”