JTAG question, halfway there

Only things pertaining to J-Tag
Forum rules
Only post or question about doing J-tag on a 360.
All other post/question will be moved or trashed.
adrianm26
Peasant
Peasant

JTAG question, halfway there

Post by adrianm26 »

So I stumbled upon a Xenon RROD, reflowed it and found it to have dash 6XXX. Figured I'd work on my soldering skills and wired the board up. I now have 4 matching NAND dumps. Now is where I'm a bit lost.

All of the tutorials I've read have my next step to flash XBReboot. I have XBR_Xenon_8955_3.bin. However all of these tutorails seem to be from 2009. Is this still the best way to go?

Also, after installing XBR, the tutorials end with "Congratulations". So after this, then what? If I play newer games, won't this upgrade the dashboard, undoing the hack?

I guess my googlefu is slipping, does anyone have any solid links or advice I can follow?
xtremeflasher
Bandit
Bandit

Re: JTAG question, halfway there

Post by xtremeflasher »

the next thing that you need to do is ensure that you have good NAND dumps. google an app called jtag tool. you will need to get your cpu key before you can go any further.
try this website: http://tech-modz.net.
moonknight
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by moonknight »

Yep, get jtag-tool and run as administrator. Compare nands to make sure at least 2 or 3 match identically. Did you get any read errors during the dump? (Good if you didn't, but ok if you did as long as they were always in the same spot).

Once you have compared good matching nand dumps, write xellous to your console with jtag-tool, boot your console using eject button, and wait for xellous to tell you your cpu key. Copy that down exactly.

Next we will build a freeboot image (again using jtag-tool) using your cpu key, then flash the new image back to your console (using jtag-tool).
adrianm26
Peasant
Peasant

Post by adrianm26 »

First off thank you for the replies, I appreciate all the help!

So right now I am in the process of installing Xellous. I had 3 matching dumps with no errors using Nandpro (I'm doing a couple more dumps with Jtagtool just to be sure).

The thing that's hanging me up is once I get my CPU key, what is the ideal program to install? I see a few different programs (XBrebooot, Freeboot, Dashlaunch). My main goal I guess would be to play newer backups off of a thumb drive or external USB HDD. As I understand with freeboot you need another Nand to hold another dashboard? All I have is 5 resistors and a couple diodes (I didn't purchase any kind of kit- just made do with what I had using a makeshift LPT port). I'm combing through about 5 different messageboards and coming up with more questions than answers at this point.
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

You will be installing freeboot. Jtag tool will make the image for you, just flash the entire 16 mb image back to your box. A shortcut if you are using an lpt cable is to load the new bin on a usb thumb drive and rename it updash.bin, then boot xellous using the eject button. It will find the new bin and update it via usb, much faster than lpt.

Once you have the freeboot image installed, it will look exactly like a normal 13604 dashboard, except it will run unsigned code.

The next thing we want to do is get freestyle dash installed in place of your xbox dashboard. To do this:
1) Get an iso image of xexmenu 1.1. Burn it to dvd.
2) Get a copy of dashlaunch 2.6, and a copy of freestyle dash, unzip both and put them on a usb thumb drive (remove the updash.bin)
3) Run xexmenu from your xbox with the thumb drive installed, then copy the fsd folder and dashlaunch folder to your ms hard drive.
4) Get a beer, and post back when you are this far along.
adrianm26
Peasant
Peasant

Post by adrianm26 »

Well it took me a couple of days to get around to it but I managed to get Xexmenu 1.1 installed on my Xbox HDD.
I have the files for Dashlaunch 2.26 and FSD 2.0. Fsd seems straightforeword enough, but I'm a little leary on the dashlaunch installation. I can't find much as to where to put all the files (patches, default.xex's and .ini's). I took a quick peek at this video for an older version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbs-Cxe3jvQ.
Is this still relevant?
Thanks for any help, I guess I'm one of them noobs when it comes to this
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

Put all of the freestyle dash stuff in a folder named fsd, make sure the stuff is in the root of the folder, not a sub folder.
Rename the sample_launch.ini to launch.ini (located in the dashlaunch 2.26 folder). Open the launch.ini file, change Default = Usb:\Freestyle\FreestyleDash.xex to Default = hdd:\fsd\default.xex

Put the fsd, dashlaunch folders on a usb thumb drive, as well as the launch.ini file.
Copy both the fsd folder and the dashlaunch folder to the root of your ms hard drive, using xex menu to navigate. Also put the launch.ini file to the root of your ms hard drive.

Now we want to run default.xex located in the dashlaunch folder (from the ms hd). This will set up fsd as your default dashboard as well as a few other things. Go through the settings, answer yes to everything for now, and copy each question as you get to it. Post those questions here, and I will post the actual answer to each question in thread. Once you have new answers, just run dashlaunch again and answer with the provided options.
adrianm26
Peasant
Peasant

Post by adrianm26 »

It took me a little bit to get around to it, but I think I've had success!
I didn't get any questions when installing dashlaunch, and after I installed it my xbox would still boot to the normal dashboard ( I could still get to freestyledash through xex menu). I then modified Launch.ini and placed it in the root of the HDD and it now boots directly to FreestyleDash. The people who wrote this software did some pretty impressive work!

For now I only have a 20gb XboxHdd, no thumb drives over 8Gb and no cash for an external usb HDD. I have a bunch of old IDE internal HDDs though and was going to pick up one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... llFullInfo which I would assume would do the trick. Untill then I think I'm just going to screw around with some emulators and homebrew games.

A little off topic but does anyone have any solid advice on how to prevent the old RROD? I can temporarily fix these bastards with a heatgun and some arctic silver, but they don't last long (I have one that's lasted me a year but the rest only lasted days/weeks/at most a few months). It would be a shame to put all this work into this thing (It has been fun) only to have it RROD in a week.
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

You can edit the temperatures that the fans start to speed up at, I set mine to start at 60c. If you are using jtag tool, go to remap bad blocks, then there is a tab for show 360 flash tool. In 360 flash tool, open your hacked nand file and type in your cpu key. Then choose the tools tab at the top, and select edit config.
In the thermal block, edit the first three temps to 60c, leave the last 3 temps alone.
Save, then write this new nand back to your xbox.

Alternately, there is a setting for fan speed in freestyle dash, you could set it to run at 100% all the time, but it is kinda loud. Don't set it to run at a percentage other than 100%, because even if it is overheating, the fans won't run faster than you have them set to.

Return to “J-Tag”