droid ?

pink
Bandit
Bandit

droid ?

Post by pink »

i am a bit confused about this android/droid issue. is this a phone or a software that comes installed to a phone. what is the big deal and what advantages does this offer. can i install to any phone or only specific cells? sorry for the noob ? but, i will be in the market for a cell in the near future and am wondering what is available. thanx pink
cainhunpi
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Re: droid ?

Post by cainhunpi »

Droid is a Motorola Phone on the Verizon Network. Android is a Mobile Operating System, it comes installed in selected phones.

and you cannot install it in a different phone. It was made by google and the thing that makes it good is that it allows

multitasking and it is open source. Android phones are available in every network except AT&T but the best ones are in Sprint and Verizon

Verizon has the droid which is the best android phone. Sprint has the G1 and next week the Nexus One is going to be officially announced.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Droid is not specifically a motorola phone. The term droid where it applies here is a term that refers to the Google Operating systems for mobile phones. Specifically, smart phones. Motorola is just one manufacturer of a smart phone that has the Android operating system. HTC is another. There are lots of smart phones on the market, but those that run Android are becoming more and more popular as compared to its Windows CE counterpart in the OS department. Here is a link to the Android wiki for your referencing pleasure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
pink
Bandit
Bandit

Post by pink »

thanx, that cleared things up quite a bit.

Return to “General Information & Questions”