Roms

rkd2398
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Roms

Post by rkd2398 »

Well I dove down deep and found myself in the midst of flashing a rom to my phone. Well just like the first time that I flashed an XBOX 360, I was nervous as all get out, but it all turned out great!!

I looked around and talked to a buddy who also has an EVO and he told me about Calkulin's Roms. So I flashed Calkulin's EViO 2 ROM v1.6 [ FroYo l FRG83 l OC l UV l Themeable ] that I got from the fellas over at http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

If you haven't been by there site, check it out tons of good info.

Calkulin's rom is pretty cool. My phone is a lot faster, now I have to work on the battery life with SetCPU, which is another cool app that will allow you to over clock/ under-clock your processor to get the most out of your phone and battery.

I can't put the phone down.
[url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/rkd2398[/url]

Please No Questions by PM, Use the board that's what it's for.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Roms

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Roms are magical :P

I have thought of flashing a rom, but no real reason to ATM, my phone has excellent battery life, and awesome speed. I will probably flash the gingerbread rom because I know my carrier will take its sweet time to release the rom.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

the only reason i have not rooted my phone is it does
every thing i want it to do
the min it dont you can bet ill flash mine :D
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

The only thing I dont like is some rom's are released before they should be. There are lots of rom's where the camera doesnt work, or video doesnt work, or gps issues, things like that.

For phones that are no longer being 'supported' rom's are perfect.
rkd2398

Post by rkd2398 »

The reason that I flashed my phone with a rom was to try and get better battery life. As of right now, with lite usage, i have gone all day without having to charge and have 40% left. If I use it a lot, I would have to charge twice maybe three times a day. Maybe after the new year I might by an extended life battery.
[url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/rkd2398[/url]

Please No Questions by PM, Use the board that's what it's for.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Your batter life sounds VERY similar to mine on the desire.

If I'm playing a game for a long period of time, or streaming media to my tv/xbox I'll usually need to be plugged in, or I'll be down to 30% in a couple hours.

As for the extended battery, I was looking at one for my phone, but its brutal its like 3x the size of the current one, I dont know if its different for the evo or not. The only upside I can see from it would be for use on long trips to watch movies or what not, but I have 2 batteries currently, 1 is in my phone, and the other one is always sitting fully charged.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

The biggest reason in my mind to root and flash a rom to my phone is so I can use apps2sd. Don't have to worry so much about running out of storage on the phone. Of course playing with experimental or beta roms is pretty cool. My phone is a htc hero and will never see an official 2.2 update :( but I can use the roms that they cook up, or even take that rom and cook my own and play with it and if I get it the way I like it, use it for my daily rom.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Thats the best thing about rom's is, when a company stop's porting android for your phone, or just stops supporting it (ie: the hero) the 'community' is still supporting it so you can go and flash a custom rom to it.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

I'm sure you guys already know this, but these smart phones, if you use them, they drink the juice. The biggest culprit when I just use my phone as a phone is the amount of time my phone spends in cell standby. If thats the case, I may as well fire up a game and play while transferring some files by bluetooth and anything else that could cause it to use battery all at the same time.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
beffman
Peasant
Peasant

Post by beffman »

People with reference to ROMS - xda developers are the center of the universe - everything you need is there, plus very helpfully people - i use a dutch guys ROMS - richard trip - awesome, at the moment i have Ginger Villan 0.9 Android 2.3.1
Very stable, quick, pre-rooted (you've got to be rooted before !!) - with loads of possibilties !!

Return to “General Information & Questions”