HTC Hero

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: HTC Hero

Post by sadalius »

LOL, thats one reason I'm jumping all over this deal, ;)
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
adultswiivi
Merry Men
Merry Men

Post by adultswiivi »

so did you get your phone yet or what??.....

i swapped for the moment. the hero is to slow. and it force closes alot of apps. cuz of the sunse UI

hero is pretty but the moment is more functional
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

No, I haven't got it yet. Will be getting one on Wednesday. I stopped and tested one out this afternoon on my way to work. I had no problems with it and I tested it out pretty good for about 45 minutes. I think the girl behind the counter thought I was going to try and steal it or something, LOL.
Sadalius

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Got my hero yesterday and love it. Only complaint I have is the bluetooth not having OBEX profile to push files out of the box.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

yea same here on the droid
i just dont think android has put much effort into bluetooth

my old razor had better bluetooth
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

I don't know if thats a droid thing or a phone manufacturer thing. Alot of things that I've noticed with the droid widgets is that they are basic widgets, nothing fancy, but the ones that HTC put on there are nice and robust. So if HTC can make their own droid widgets, they could build their own bluetooth profiles.
Sadalius

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Those of you that have droids, what firmware is yours running? Mine is on 1.5 and I'm already wanting 2.0 or 2.1 which ever comes first to the states.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

mine came with the v2.0
now after the update today
it has v2.0.1

hey i found a good free bluetooth app.
search
bluetooth file trans
by
medieval software

took me a sec to see how it works but so far so good
move anything to/from anything

crap even stuff the phone dont know what it is. :D
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Dang, but you are on a GSM service provider though right? Mine is CDMA. I wish my provider would get with the times!! Wonder when it downloaded the update if it put it one your SD card? Look for update.zip on it. With 1.5, it doesn't have the OBEX profile so only thing I can do with bluetooth is pair a headset. File transfers don't work period. I've tried using the medieval app and it won't work because of it.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

no man
its not there
or i cant find it

i think i did read that you could manually install it
but
i cant find it now
ill look for it
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

I read about being able to check for updates from the settings menu, but I don't have that option. grrr.... LOL
Sadalius

adultswiivi
Merry Men
Merry Men

Post by adultswiivi »

you check for updates from the device self service device 1.1

also i have almost every important app PAID version if you need it.

what you mean file transfers dont work??

works fine for me.

i also have my moment rooted with 1.6 :) :)

came with 1.5 and my moment runs at 1ghz now yea.... buddy

i hated that htc hero all show no go.

my moment looks just like my wifes hero with apps i downloaded

i dont htink im aloud to post links but PM for help

PS 2.0 for sprint is coming 2nd quarter 2010 says sprint on twitter

but there have been rumors that HTC was planning a release b4 xmas **RUMOR**
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Yeah, I know your suppose to be able to check for updates from the device itself, but the option isn't in my phone or I'm really over looking it, LOL. I've not tried to gain root access yet because I'm waiting for the period of time my provider gives me to take it back in case I decide I don't like it.

EDIT:
Almost forgot, the Hero is a good phone. I didn't mean to imply that I was having trouble with it. I'm not. The bluetooth thing, to me isn't a big deal. Not like I can't mount the microsd card on the computer and put whatever I need on it that way. I just know that some people are into that kind of thing so I thought it worth a mention. Everything else is great.
Sadalius

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Just an update on my experiences with my HTC Hero droid phone. I have now learned how to gain root access with it. I've flashed it with a few other roms. It's very interesting, but frustrating to say the least. If my cell provider was GSM, I wouldn't be having these issues, but it is CDMA. I've been wanting to run android 2.1 and the only 2.1 rom thats out is a ported GSM version which leaves a few things not working. Using the 2.1 ROM does solve by bluetooth file transfer problem, but it leaves the camera not working and several applications want to force quit continually. This ROM is not ready for CDMA prime time if you ask me.

Right now I'm running Fresh 1.1 ROM and like it pretty well. There is only one thing that I've noticed that does not work with this ROM and that is voice mail notification. From what I understand, this is an issue with all home cooked ROMS at the moment.

The best thing of having root access on the droid phones is the recovery menu. From there you can do several things. One of which is partition the transflash card that you have in your phone. You setup a swap partition, a fat32 partition and an EXT2 partition. You pick the sizes based on the size of your transflash and then the EXT2 partition becomes an area that the phone can use to install apps to instead of using the phones memory. This is because most all cutom roms come with a program called apps2SD built into the ROM.

There are tons of custom things that you can get for your phone too, custom boot and lock screens, add on ring tones, themes and lots of other cool stuff. I'll keep this thread updated as I get time to mess around with it some more ;)
Sadalius

Return to “General Information & Questions”