CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Windows Phone 7 Devices Eating Through Data

Post by CoFree »

Windows Phone 7 Devices Eating Through Data
by: Mark Kurlyandchik
Microsoft is investigating cause of phantom data menace

According to the BBC, a number of Windows Phone 7 users are reporting that their devices are sending and receiving phantom data, eating away at their monthly data plans.

Most complaints are U.S.-based, where devices are blowing through 30 to 50MB of data every day. A 1GB data cap would be reached within 20 days at this rate.

"I received an e-mail from AT&T saying that I was close to my 2GB data limit which truly shocked me as I feel I do not use data that much," one user told Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows. "I went and looked at my AT&T account online and noticed that my phone was sending huge chunks of data seemingly in patterns."

Another user noticed 2-5MB of idle data usage per hour.

Microsoft is aware of the problem. "We are investigating this issue to determine the root cause and will update with information and guidance as it becomes available," a Microsoft spokesperson told BBC.

While the cause has not been determined, some have speculated that it may be related to the WP7 devices sending feedback to Microsoft about the software, or that the phones are staying connected to 3G even when Wi-Fi is available.

=====================
=====================

Man, can Microsoft do anything right
sound so much like the 360 console
CoFree
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Windows Phone 7 Devices Eating Through Data

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Damn, I wish I ate through this much data on my phone. Most of my data is on wifi, yet I have a 2GB plan :roll:

Yet another reason why I'm glad I went android :P

Return to “Cell phone News”