Break Verizon Contract Without Paying Early Termination Fee

silentj
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Break Verizon Contract Without Paying Early Termination Fee

Post by silentj »

Usually if you want to break your Verizon contract you have to pay a pricey early termination fee, but
due to a minor increase in the regulatory fee there is a free way out. Verizon is changing the regulatory
free from $.13 to $.16, a very small change, but enough to render your contract void if you don’t like it.
Basically this is just a loophole you can use if you’re looking to break your contract and don’t want to pay
the ETF. When you signed your contract with Verizon you signed into a service for a given price. By changing
that price, no matter how minuscule, they have voided the contract.
You only have 60 days, starting July 1st, to take advantage of this loop hole. After that it is assumed you
accept any changes to the contract.

To take advantage of this you can call up Verizon and ask for the retentions department. Once connected tell
them that this is a “materially adverse change of contract”, and you want to be let out of your contract without
paying the ETF. Do not accept freebies. Do not complain about any other things. Be persistent that this is the
lone reason why you want to be let out of your contract. You will probably run into misinformed reps, and
people trying to do anything to keep you, but stay focused and they have to let you out.

This excerpt from Verizon’s Customer Agreement explains why:

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

Verizon
"We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we’ll provide
notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect,
that means you’re accepting the change. If you’re a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has
a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving
the notice with no early termination fee"

you have 60 days to take advantage of this. starting july 1st

Verizon's customer agreement

Update!

Verizon did indeed up the Regulatory Charge by $0.03 and did not
offset the cost in another area.

That technically counts as a material adverse effect since it raises your bill and should allow you to
exit your contract without paying an ETF (early termination fee), except Verizon is taking another approach.

At this time, they are willing to credit your account for this new 3 cent charge for the life of your current contract
and are denying requests for free early terminations.
So basically this menas that Big Red would be handing you
back $0.72, assuming you have an entire 2 years left on your contract rather than let you walk away without paying a fee.

I will say that this appears to go against their own customer agreement which clearly states, “…this agreement has a material
adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no early termination fee.”
Last edited by silentj on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: new info added
Take It Like a champ
twi5t3d
Bandit
Bandit

Re: Break Verizon Contract Without Paying Early Termination

Post by twi5t3d »

i have 5 phones with verizon i wonder if i can get out of 4 of them this way :twisted:
silentj

Post by silentj »

Why not? By law you can.
I am out of my contract or I would give it a shot.
Give it a shot and let us know how it all goes. And good luck if you do.
Take It Like a champ
silentj

Post by silentj »

Bumping post. Updated
Take It Like a champ

Return to “Cell phone News”