Verizon Forces ALL Customers to be Tracked

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Verizon Forces ALL Customers to be Tracked

Post by CoFree »

Verizon Forces Customers to Opt Out if They Don't Want to be Tracked
Jason Mick
Can you hear me now? I'm watching YOU... ALL the time... (Source: Verizon)
Big Brother Verizon is watching you

Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) has more subscribers than any other network in the U.S. It has more voice coverage than any other U.S. voice network. And it has more LTE coverage than any other network, covering roughly half of Americans with 4G.

But it's not all flowers and roses for Verizon subscribers. Verizon is generally the most expensive network to subscribe to. And now looking for a little something extra, it's rolled out a controversial provision that sure to irritate some subscribers.

The company updated its privacy policy this week. In the revised privacy section Verizon now informs subscribers that it will track their location at all times in the name of generating "certain business and marketing reports" and for "making mobile ads you see more relevant."

Fortunately there's an opt out. You can ditch the monitoring here.

The changes bring to mind Sony Corp.'s (TYO:6758) recent terms of service changes, which tried to ban customers from suing it for negligence or abuse (the Sony contract contained a similar opt out clause). Customers may not be happy about being opted in by default, but there's little they can do about it, particularly since the opt-out option weakens any legal claim they might have.

About the most powerful statement they could make would be to ditch Verizon for a cheaper carrier who doesn't track -- like Sprint Nextel Corp. (S). But of course, Verizon's coverage is unparalleled and for customers in some areas that just isn't a viable option.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Verizon Forces ALL Customers to be Tracked

Post by technoe »

Thank you RHPG for finding this article. I have successfully opted out. :D
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!
mcw1965
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Re: Verizon Forces ALL Customers to be Tracked

Post by mcw1965 »

Man, what is next? Are they going to tell me who I can and can't talk to? It is getting seriously out of hand....

Return to “Cell phone News”