The place to ask your question.
pluto_00
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Wii mod chips

Post by pluto_00 »

Hello
if i would buy a wii today i'm living in belgium
could i place a chip inside aswell or do i have to look on the serie number ?
Is every chip with soldering ?

I did not look around yet for more info I just am curious about what i can do with the wii and how hard it would be to play backups.

Thnx
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Wii mod chips

Post by CoFree »

well making the backups is easy

the new wii are different.I have not read much on the newer wii console.
Maybe sadalius will have some input.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

You would use your serial number to look up what flash chip your dvd drive has that way you'll know what modchip you need. Go here and look up your Wii: http://nintendo-scene.com/wiitracker/search.php

Every Wii modchip that I have seen needs to be soldered in. They can be very difficult to solder in given their small size.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
pluto_00
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by pluto_00 »

Hi thnx for reply !!

I will try that site out when i can get my hands on a wii ...

Because in every store here in belgium it's SOLD OUT ! since december 2007 ...

That's crappy because then i think ... when they come back in store it shall be the newer one's ...

Hopefully they find a way then to make e chip again! 8-)

It's waiting for me now ...

I hate waiting :lol:
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

So far there is a chip for every wii thats came out. The newer ones require specific chips to work which is why you need to find out what flash chip is in the wii so you'll know which chip to buy. But yeah, seems the wii is quite popular and is hard to come by. It shouldn't be much longer till you'll be able to find them in retail stores so keep looking if you really want one and good luck!!
Sadalius

Free Knight
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Free Knight »

The chips are small, but fairly easy to solder (assuming you can solder) there's lots of solder on the contact points already and there are usually only a few connection points. That being said, always use wires, never do the 'wire-free' soldering, it's just a big mess.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Right. I don't know why, but even using the short wire method is not a preferred way of installing a chip in the wii. Long wire is the preferred method. And for those interested in a chip that you currently don't have to worry about what drive chip you have, check out the wasabi. It's compatible with all wii's on the market at the time of this posting. This may change with future hardware releases from Nintendo though. With the wasabi, it's recommended to keep the power and ground wires to one inch or less, and if your using 30 awg, to double them up on the power an ground connections, in other words, use two wires on the ground and two wires on the power to give a heavier path for the power to travel. Or you can use a heavier gauge single wire for each. The rest of the connections can use standard 30awg wire.
Sadalius

Free Knight
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Free Knight »

Cool, I haven't worked with anything but a Wiikey, but I stopped putting chips in when I moved to the UK in Sept.

The shortwire method does have its flaws, It's still not as 'clean' as a long wire install but I haven't had an issue yet and it takes care of placement and is still pretty easy to take out should you want to change chips. I'd say my only complaint on the Wiikey is that I've heard the solder points on the chip can lift off fairly easily if you're not careful (couple friends of mine who haven't soldered much had some problems).

I really just wish we had a Wii homebrew channel already :cry:
(oh well at least the Gamecube homebrew runs)

Return to “Beginners”