Modding Wii

Anything hardware related goes here
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Modding Wii

Post by commando_lee »

Im attemptin to mod a wii, the settings screen read ver.3.1.e , Can any 1 suggest which is the best way to mod it all i want it to do is play backups nothing major
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Modding Wii

Post by sadalius »

If your looking for a chip, I would say go for the wasabi DX. If not, go the softmod route.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

sadalius wrote:If your looking for a chip, I would say go for the wasabi DX. If not, go the softmod route.
which is the better way? soft mod will that work the same way as just putting the game in or do have to open channel?

with the chip is there a tutorial?
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

With the softmod, you have to install something called backup launcher. There is one for Wii games and there is one for GameCube games. They install as channels. Basically, you boot your wii, launch backup launcher and put in your backup. It's not a hard process, but it does take a little time. I would allow about an hour if you've never done one before. The softmod isn't 100% compatible with all the games either. But you can use USB Loader if you install the latest cios. what this means is you can attach an external USB hard drive and put your games on it and play them from it. It's pretty neat. CoFree and I are using one called GUI-FX at the moment.

I don't have mine softmodded, it's chipped, but I do use the USB loader capabilities. I use a chip called drivekey made by the Wiikey team. It does really well and it's easy to install. But, from what I've read, the wasabi DX seems to be liked by the majority. It works basically the same way, You get the chip and a flat ribbon cable. On the chip, there are some dip switches. Set the switches to match your region. Then you take your Wii apart and disconnect the flat cable that goes to the DVD drive. Connect the ribbon cable that came with the chip to the dvd drive and then to the chip on the side marked DVD. Then connect the ribbon cable that comes from the motherboard to the chip on the side thats labeled Wii. Thats it. Your done.

For a wasabi DX the install would look like this:

For a drivekey:

Pretty much the same for both.
Sadalius

commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

Thanks mate, i would say the chip is the way to go then. looks like the case is the hardest to do, is this the correct chip

http://www.wii-chip.co.uk/osc/product_i ... cts_id=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that about the going price??
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Yeah, thats the correct chip. The price isn't bad either. Most places that sell to the US sell them for around 70 bucks or around £43.
Sadalius

commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

Does that chip read at x4? compat with wii with poxi resin ?
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

"i think"
3x is the speed it will read at
it should work with all drives
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

Wouldnt that take a while to load games??

Whats the thoughts on this chip ???
http://www.wii-chip.co.uk/osc/product_i ... ucts_id=56" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Let me put your mind at ease on the speed concerns. Load times are no different at 3x then they are at the full 6x. There has been a few speed tests concerning this and none of them show any performance loss.
Sadalius

commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

sadalius wrote:Let me put your mind at ease on the speed concerns. Load times are no different at 3x then they are at the full 6x. There has been a few speed tests concerning this and none of them show any performance loss.

Right i have orderd that chip should have it some time 2morow, spoken to the supplier no installation instructions come with it.. By any chance would you know what position the 1234 should be in?? also is it realy just a simple take ribbon from dvd drive put it in chip then from chip to motherboard?
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Your getting the wasabi dx chip? And what region is your wii? I posted the install instructions for the wasabi above. It has the dip switch settings in the pic.

Well here, the switch order goes 1,2,3,4 so the region setting would be
JAP - off, off, off, off
USA - on, off, off, off
PAL - off, on, off, off
KOR - on, on, off, off

In all cases switches 3 and 4 remain off, so you should only have to change switch 1 or 2 or both.
Sadalius

commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

yeah im gona go for the one you said

this is link for site where im getting it from

http://www.wii-chip.co.uk/osc/product_i ... cts_id=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it looks diff to the pic you put up

im from uk Serial LEH14921356 running version 3.1.e
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

It's the same chip, just looks different from the angle of the pic I guess. I had to open them up in different windows and switch back and forth to compare them, but they're the same.

Your setting should be - off, on, off, off.

You might already know how, but here is a video on taking the wii apart, you will need whats called a tri-wing screw driver:
Sadalius

commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by commando_lee »

what postion would i have the 1345 settings for uk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hard mod or chip Questions”