Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii? Last minute christmas advice

Fighting Tyranny In a Technological Nottingham!
CorvetteRodder
Peasant
Peasant

Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii? Last minute christmas advice

Post by CorvetteRodder »

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out which console I should get the kids for christmas. I'm just going to shell out the cash and go to Target in a few minutes I'm just trying to decide.

I was really trying to get a free one from (bullshit link removed) but I ran out of time :(

Does it matter what the tech specs are or do the games matter more? Looking for ages 6-10. This is what I've figured out so far:

Copy/pasted stuff I've found:

PlayStation 3
As of recent times, Sony has had a bit of trouble getting their gaming products out to gamers. They have dominated the gaming market since the launch of the original PlayStation, but the high price of the long-awaited PlayStation 3 has made it impossible to stay ahead in the game. The console debuted at about $600 USD, far above the price of Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii console. Games and accessories are quite pricy as well, with most new games launching at around $70 and controllers selling at about the same price. Even Activision, one of the gaming world's largest video game developers, threatened earlier this year to drop support for Sony consoles if their prices did not improve. Since then, however, especially with the release of the "Slim" version of the PS3, the price has dropped to a far more reasonable $299 USD, about half as much as the original release, boasting features such as a Blu-Ray disc player, internet browser, built-in Wi-Fi, "Trophies," a built-in 120GB hard drive, and more. Graphics are exceptional and can suck a player right into a game all on their own, and Sony's line of video games is very impressive. DualShock3 and SixAxiS motion control contribute to the famous PlayStation control, embellished with the four geometrical figures that gamers know and love. Despite its formerly high price, the PlayStation 3 has made a name for itself in the gaming industry.

Xbox 360
Microsoft's Xbox (derived from DirectX box) 360 has very much brought the pain to Sony as far as sales go, outselling the electronics giant by about double for years now. The recent drop in the PS3's price may get Sony back into the game---if the recent drop in price of the Xbox 360 Elite, the highest-end version of the Xbox, to a matching $299 does not woo gamers into virtually going for the green brand instead. Xbox's graphics do not match the gorgeous definition of the PS3's, but don't be fooled; as far as graphics go, the Xbox definitely isn't lazy. The console does not support Blu-Ray discs, nor does it have built-in Wi-Fi or an internet browser, but it does have a built-in hard drive. The standard Xbox controller, while its layout may seem slightly unorthodox at first, is very ergonomically designed, and its thickness and easily-reachable buttons make it a joy to use, especially for those with large hands.

Wii
Nintendo's Wii has completely dominated the video game market since its launch in late 2006. For years, shelves designated for the revolutionary console sat mostly bare as consoles were often reserved or simply sold before the day of their stocking was over. Nintendo perfected something that Sony had previously touched on with their EyeToy controller: using motion to control a video game. The Bluetooth-connected Wii Remote (a.k.a. "Wiimote") is very much unlike most controllers. It is most often used between two hands, held vertically and used with an attachment called the "Nunchuk," which contains two buttons and a single analog controller. Both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk are able to pinpoint their locations in 3D space, a function which game developers utilize to control certain aspects of their games. The console itself does not have a hard drive quite like Microsoft's and Sony's entries into the next-gen console war, but it does have built-in WiFi, an internet browser (available through the console in the online Wii store), messaging between consoles and also between consoles and e-mail addresses, and the ability to purchase, download, and play older Nintendo games. It is also completely backwards compatible with the Nintendo GameCube, having not only the ability to play GameCube discs, but even having ports for GameCube controllers and memory cards. Unfortunately, the Wii does have one major downfall in its line of games. Nintendo decided to use the Wii to focus on introducing the gaming world to people of all interests, and thus, their gaming line does not please many hardcore gamers out there. Most of the games, however, are very fun, thanks in part to the interactive motion control provided by the Wii Remote.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii? Last minute christmas advice

Post by CoFree »

well
i would say a 360
but that is just me
all systems are fine and im sure the kids will love any of them
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.

Return to “Welcome”