Video Input

Anything hardware related goes here
don
Bandit
Bandit

Video Input

Post by don »

Ive got this wierd problem, my PC monitor wont connect to my PC Tower, when i connect it to the correct port(in tower) with the cable, the monitor and the monitor light goes off, when i take the cable out (from tower or monitor), the monitor comes back on and displays the message:- No Video input. Whats wrong here?
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Video Input

Post by CoFree »

if you saying hooking up the vga makes the monitor go off then you got me.
i by no mean,are a computer fix it guy. :?
wait for sadalius see what he has to offer.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
Jman 31
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by Jman 31 »

Sound like the cable may have a short in it. Thats the only thing I can think of. Have you tried a different cable to see if it reacts the same?
ROBINHOOD'S PLAYGROUND
don
Bandit
Bandit

Post by don »

I dont have a spare cable, but the tower does work with a different monitor.
Jman 31
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by Jman 31 »

Is it a plug-and-play monitor or does it take a driver? You might try installing the driver, if it needs one, before you plug it in and see if that works.
ROBINHOOD'S PLAYGROUND
don
Bandit
Bandit

Post by don »

Its a plug and play monitor, i just had to put the cables in (power and video cable). It was working fine before, but recently it was playing up a bit and today its completely gone off (Tower works fine though).
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

If another monitor works fine, then you know the video card is working properly. There could be three things that can cause this problem. A broken or bent pin on the plug from the monitor that plugs into the PC. A short in the cable for the monitor. And the last thing is the monitor itself has gone bad. Working with a bent or broken pin may not be too difficult, and in some cases, changing the cable itself is possible, but don't take the monitor apart to work on it. Even A+ certified people are trained to just replace the monitor in those circumstances. It is very dangerous is why. It takes some very special tools to perform repair work on a monitor.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
don
Bandit
Bandit

Post by don »

I took it it to a comp shop and he tried my pc tower on a lcd monitor and it messed up his monitor. He said that the video card is sending more/powerful signal, so he said i need to get another graphics card.

My pc tower works fine with those standard monitors...
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

I would consider that very unusual. Unless the voltage regulator is going bad on the video card. But then the one monitor that does work would have to have a pretty good tolerance to the higher voltage so anything is possible there. Working with what you had, the two monitors and one of them working and the other not, one should have figured the video card as good. Good thing you took it to a shop.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please

Return to “Hardware”