Anything hardware related goes here
beetle

Post by beetle »

Last edited by beetle on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Zalman heatsink for the asus a8n deluxe Motherboard

Post by CoFree »

you will need for one of the computer guys. ;)
sorry
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
beetle

Post by beetle »

Last edited by beetle on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

beetle wrote:My xbox is really annoyingly loud, do you know of any silent fans that are made for the 360?
no
its not just the fans
the dvd rive is load also.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
pluto_00
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by pluto_00 »

beetle wrote:Hey,

I have an asus a8n sli deluxe mobo but recently i was advised to get a zalman zm-nb47j http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en ... a=N&tab=wi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), because my chip fan started making a horrible sound.

I installed the zalman unit but every time i boot my pc, before windows boots,
i get a warning message saying,
*** Warning Your Computer CPU FAN Fail or Speed Too Low ***
You can also disable this warning message in setup.

Its the same message that appeared when i used the unplug the old asus fan.
so my guess is i still need to do something else for the heatsink to work.

Its also causing my computer to crash, I know this because I disabled the warning message about a week ago and it was only today my pc crashed for the first time and when i rebooted the warning message appeared again.

The heatsink works and yeah its get very hot ... thats normal because there is no fan equiped on those zalman for northbridge, they are passive cooling not active cooling. On my motherboard were i did install that kind of cooler (DFI lanparty NF4 DR) the airflow in the case and mostly the air flow of my main cooler from CPU was enough to cool down the passive one, the CPU cooler also a zalman with the copper.

Your motherboard is set too see the original cooling that is active and has a speed (rpm) while its active, so if you unhook it; this message "*** Warning Your Computer CPU FAN Fail or Speed Too Low ***" is just saying that the motherboard doesnt see the fan anymore and that the speed can't be determend because there is non ... you unhooked it.
Best option with that kind of cooling is too make you got a very nice air flow trough your case too keep it al cool or hope you can get the bennefit of an aftermarket CPU cooler.
Sometimes the NB (northbridge) is under the VGA card so there is no airflow from the CPU's fan so be carefull on what motherboard your placing it! Wanting too have a high end PC is keeping every little detail in mind.

The crashing might be the result of the NB getting too hot ! So check the air flow !

Also after the warning message appears another message appears saying
SLI 3114 SATARaid, BIOS Version 5.1.39
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Silicon Image, Inc.
Press < Ctrl=S > or F4 to enter RAID utility.

So I press F4 to enter raid utility, and there are six options

They only want you to press the F4 if you want to enter the utility for creating a raid ! If you don't want a raid setup with your drives than it just passes by as a procedure too boot up and checking every driver on the motherboard.

A RAID is a setup between harddrives so thats not the thing too look for, if you want too fix the fan warning.

You can disable the warning in your bios , but as said before if the bridge gets too hot because it doesn't get enough cooling the system will crash or freez up later on.
beetle

Post by beetle »

Last edited by beetle on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
beetle

Post by beetle »

Last edited by beetle on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
pluto_00
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by pluto_00 »

that fan should keep it cool and the system should be running without crashing.

NP we are here too help.
sccrbrandon4788
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by sccrbrandon4788 »

Is this Zalman for the CPU?? I didn't really understand what the use was for. If its for the CPU I would never run a PC with a heatsink and no fan, just too risky, but thats my $.02
beetle

Post by beetle »

Last edited by beetle on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
pluto_00
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by pluto_00 »

sccrbrandon4788 wrote:Is this Zalman for the CPU?? I didn't really understand what the use was for. If its for the CPU I would never run a PC with a heatsink and no fan, just too risky, but thats my $.02
Its a cooler for the northbridge, they are good better than the original small fan, but if you don't have a good cool airflow you will get trouble.
sccrbrandon4788

Post by sccrbrandon4788 »

Oh I just didn't know it was a Northbridge cooler. I'm looking for some CPU heatsink/fans to put on the 360 to help with cooling and keeping the pressure on the chipsets so the stay connected on the board.
pluto_00
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by pluto_00 »

sccrbrandon4788 wrote:Oh I just didn't know it was a Northbridge cooler. I'm looking for some CPU heatsink/fans to put on the 360 to help with cooling and keeping the pressure on the chipsets so the stay connected on the board.
well my 360 died, first RROD, did the x-clamp with succes but it freezed up again after 3 days of intens playing ...
I think the best way is maybe too cut open the side of your xbox and let an airco unit blow right into it ...

I'm just really dissapointed in MS I had buy the console in the early days so payed 400€ and now it's broken after a year and maybe the time I played on it was about 4 months.

i really have doubts on getting me a new one ... it's a great console but on the other way is i have too pay 180€ again and it dies again ... Why don't they first fix the problem and then launch consoles again tjeez. I think the good old times with the first xbox are done ...

Good luck on keeping it cool and I hope that solves your problem or makes you don't get the problem

Return to “Hardware”