WD Hardware Media Player

Anything hardware related goes here
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

WD Hardware Media Player

Post by BobSeager »

So I'm always having people say to me "Why don't you bring over the movie" or "Let's watch it on this TV".

The problem with video files en masse on your computer is- you can't. Believe it or not there are still people whose tv does not have anything other than a composite input.

So after giving up on talking them into getting a new tv, I got this little gizmo-

The reason I settled on this is because 1) It's cheap ~$100 2) Supports a large amount of codecs (important!) 3) Supports 1080p over the HDMI-out and 4) It's very portable. It weighs nothing, it's dimensions are 'about' 2"x5"x3"

The menu interface is serviceable -not great- for handling file browsing. There is a search-by-context method which is very useful when you have tons of stuff and incomplete/shortened file naming.

Depending on your source quality the video over composite looks very good. You can place files on anything USB and it makes the player plug-and-play. The controller is basic, I may use a universal remote as it communicates over infrared.

If my computer was not connected to my TV, I would definetly get another one to leave at home all the time.

Love it :D
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: WD Hardware Media Player

Post by CoFree »

cool
looks like that will help with movie night. :D
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
ghost.x74
Bandit
Bandit

Post by ghost.x74 »

I have also got one of these only last week.
I keep my entire music collection on a 1.5tb hdd in flac format and it scounds great when played using this.

I would advise you to update the firmware (if you have not already done so) it then works even better.

All in all I have to say that its a great bit of kit for its price. :D
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

haha, most if not all my friends own an xbox or have a setup for streaming things from their pc to their tv. So what I usually do in this predicament is put whatever files on my flash drive, and play using their xbox or stream from their pc to tv :P
Bishop05
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Bishop05 »

you guys should check this out, I have one and it's great...

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I too was using XBMC and I really needed to get my shows in Hi DEf, which this unit does i have the A110.
it streams AVI, MKV, ISO, IMG, WMV, and more...

Return to “Hardware”